Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

70 ft Schooner "Mandalay"

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by jonandclare00, Jul 11, 2017.

1. jonandclare00

jonandclare00 New Member

Does anybody know anything about an Ed Dubois designed 70 foot schooner, lately called Mandalay? She was built in Hong Kong by Supercraft a while back (not sure when). She is now in the midst of a complete renovation in New Zealand. I would be really interested in any photographs of her, particularly deck and cockpit shots. I have searched the Internet without success, not a single mention or photograph. So any information at all would be gratefully received.
  2. jonandclare00

jonandclare00 New Member

manadaly.jpg The only photo I have.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of a sweet Deerfoot I was on a few years ago.
  4. Sailor Sam

Sailor Sam New Member

Yes, nothing on google other than built in Hong Kong in 1982.I know that Mandalay schooner was hauled out in Whangarei in 2000 and ended up at westpark hard stand 2004/2005, has it been in that shed since then? Didn't look like the trade me photos, must have had lots of cabin top/cockpit modifications? have you seen her? like to know her condition now.
  5. David Weaver

David Weaver Guest

Hello,

I know the Mandalay quite well. I also knew Nigel Stevens the owner quite well. I took part on Mandalay's first China Sea Race (forget the year) and was:- Chief Engineer, Gunner, and Assistant cook. We were first across the line, but not winners of the race.
    I purchased and assembled the entire tool kit for permanent use on the vessel, and documented many features, such as the wiring system, and made up special canvas jackets to hold dangerous kitchen items like knives.

I have a few photographs in an album taken whilst Mandalay was moored in Manila at the end of the race.

On the return trip to Hong Kong Nigel's son and a friend were on the helm whilst a couple of us were enjoying some cold beer and leaning against a rail behind them. Some asked, What speed are we doing? One of the boys turned around and looked at us, and replied, About 24 bottles an hour!
  6. jonandclare00

jonandclare00 New Member

Thank you David. As you can see I posed the question over two years ago. At the time she was in a shed in Auckland, half restored and for sale. I think the price was NZ$100,000 and I had a notion to buy her and finish the job. However, time and other commitments prevented that.

She must have been an awesome boat in her day and envy you her time on board and involvement. I have no idea where she is now. Maybe still in the shed, but the hull was all done. The interior still needed a complete fit out, although I think the engine and generator were fitted.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Your photos would have been very useful at that time.