Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

5788 for the Bahamas

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by hat4349, Oct 10, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I talked to a party that have a Bayliner 5788 that is stabilized. They use it to go to the Bahamas every year. I, while I like Bayliners for coastal cruising, would not venture that far with one. I am wondering what everyone thinks of this usage.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I would have zero hesitancy going to the Bahamas on a stabilized 5788. A significant percentage of the boats that go there are less capable.
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I don't see any issue.
    Never been around one stabilized. Must be a real cool boat.
  4. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I have been misled in my judgement of Bayliners by a different forum. I have 3 friends that own Bayliners. Two own the 4788 models and one owns a 5788, I have been on all three and liked them. However; the other forum I used to be a member of said they were lousy boats for the Bahamas or anywhere that had open water. They always recommended getting a Hatteras instead.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have been misled.
    US Yacht, Meridian and Bayliner motor yachts (all the same) are good boats.
    No, they are not as heavy as a Hatterass, but the weight of a Hatt may be over rated.
    A boat can take as much as the people inside can take, not what the boat can take.
    AND, who really wants to go boating on a bad day.
    My Bertram is a heavy old boat also. We don't go out on bad days, one of our cats gets sea sick.

I remember a friends 25' Bayliner Saratoga with single 350 Chevy and 270 Volvo drive. Ran the heck out of it many times between Lake Worth and Walkers, day & night.
    I owned a Bayliner Trophy 2860 with single stern drive also for many years.
    You can not kick a Bayliner (much).

Now, I am a boat kicker, but that is in many different threads already.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you're only going once a year, easy to pick a weather window. Some days a 13' Boston Whaler would be comfortable and have seen them make it across.