Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

57' Chris Craft Constellation Questions

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by St. Valentine, Jun 16, 2009.

1. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

I've seen several versions of the 57' Constellation. One has a guest stateroom with two singles lined up on either wall when you enter the room. Another configuration has the two singles; one against the back wall (port side), the other with its head at the foot of the first bed. I'm curious as to the pros & cons and why the latter configuration. The only thing I can figure is it was to allow for a head in that guest stateroom with just a toilet and sink.

The other thing I was wondering was about the space immediately across the companionway from the guest stateroom. I've only seen pictures but it looks like a sort of day bed with a back cushion. I'm not sure if that back cushion lifts up to make bunk beds nor am I sure of the size of that bottom cushion. Is it a single or something larger? From the photographs it appears that the legs of anyone sitting there would be sticking out into the companionway. I've also seen pictures that look like that bottom cushion area has been cut back to sofa size so that it's almost like a little sitting room. I would assume that's an owner modification.

I think if you have a normal guest stateroom with side-by-side beds then you got the package with the full head across the companionway with a shower. If you chose the foot-to-head configuration you got the sitting room. Is that right?

If so, I guess my question is, which is better? I'm considering a Connie purchase and it's an important choice. Also, what is that little sitting room officially called by Chris Craft?

I can see the advantage of an extra shower but if you really don't need that then you get more sleeping space with the sitting room. The Chris Craft Connie brochure advertises the boat sleeps 12. I can't figure where all 12 would sleep unless they're counting a sleeper sofa in the salon and one up top.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hi Phil,

All good questions. There is no easy answer. The 57 Connie had quite a number of different configurations over the years. The pullman berths in the companionway are, per my own observation, a bit rare. In the alternative, there is a large locker in that space with sliding wooden doors. The guest staterooms have various berth arrangements to include side by side singles athwartships, "L" shaped singles, even upper and lower. Some 57's have the guest and master heads along the starboard side, some share a shower. Some have the master head in the forward port of the master stateroom.
    The configuration that you end up with will probably be dictated by other factors, like condition.

The 12 sleeper is likely the layout with the pullman berths sleeping 2, 6 more in the 3 staterooms, 2 on the convertible dinette in the galley, and 2 on a convertible sofa in the saloon.

In shopping for a 57 Connie, bear in mind that these were production boats, that were lightly built for their size. They were the workhorse yacht of their time. These boats were bought new by owners who used them. Alot. Most of the boats that are left are junk. The "newest" 57 Connie still around is now almost 40 years old. They were not reasonably intended to last this long. With the cost of proper maintenance skyrocketing, many have sold at rock bottom prices, only to then experience an amateur refit to poor standards. Most 57' Connies are hogged from improper hauling with full fuel tanks which are located aft in the lazarette. With the weight of all that fuel in the stern, she can't help but flex and bend when lifted with straps.

Shop carefully. Survey thoroughly. You may wish to start the process with a knowledgeable broker on your side of the transaction.

Good luck. If you can find a healthy 57' Connie, there is no more beautiful wooden yacht.
  3. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Thanks, Eric. As I go through this process of deciding on a Constellation, I'm assuming the bottom/hull and the engines are the most expensive replacements on the 57' Connie. Were I to find that I needed to completely sand down, refasten and repaint the hull/bottom, how much money am I looking at? Also, if the engines need replacing, how much would that run? I realize these would be rough estimates. Nobody knows for sure until they actually get into the restoration.
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

One thing to keep in mind...Marine surveyors generally will not even survey a wooden boat over 20 yrs old if engaged in commercial operations, the liability is too high and usually the big issue are the hull fastenings for starters..gives you an idea as how safe they think they are..
  5. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

That's an interesting point. Is there any evidence that wooden boats aren't safe?
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I would not even consider the purchase of a wooden yacht that is in need of major repairs. The exception would be a yacht of some significant historic value. For the rest, the cost of refit has become prohibitive. A buyer is much better served by purchasing the best condition yacht available. Even though a seller's asking price may seem high, if the boat is really nice its still a better value.

That said: For a 57' Constellation, A professional bottom refastening and hull refinishing could exceed $50K. The variable is what else will come up in the process. There's a good chance that plank replacements or more could be required.

On the engines: You would likely not replace engines. Most 57's had GM 871 N power that can be overhauled in the boat. I would budget $15,000 to $25,000 per engine for overhaul. Again, the "while you're in there" surprises can drive the cost up considerably.

On the subject of costly upgrades: There are quite a few other systems that can be expensive to retrofit on an older Connie. One that comes to mind is the electrical system. On the DC side, most Connies are 32 volt. This means 2 banks of 4 each- 8 volt batteries. One for engine starting and one for the house. 32 volt stuff is still available, but its getting harder to find and its pricey. The change to 12 volt would necessitate rewire to a larger guage wire. This may be a good idea anyway as the original wiring is now at least 40 years old. On the AC, or shore power side of the electrical, Chris Craft is well known for their use of household type "Square D" breaker panels. By today's standards, this installation is from the stone age. If an old Connie has not had a significant upgrade on the shore power panel and system, that project should be on the "to do soon" list.

A few more costly things to look for: Age and condition of the Genset, Fuel tank replacement, galley appliance replacement, air conditioning systems and controls, teak deck condition. There are vertical steel beam supports for the main cabin tops. Deck and window leaks over the years tend to cause these supports to rust out and loose their integrity. When this happens, the cabin top tend to "rack" in rough water. Its hard to get to these for inspection. Its important to look for tell tale signs of cabin top movement. Cracked windows are one indication of a potential issue.
  7. St. Valentine

St. Valentine New Member

Thanks for the tips, Eric. I've been looking at some Connies and some of the project boats look tempting. I sometimes think it would be fun to see the restoration project through but your words of warning are wise. I don't want to end up putting $250,00 in a boat that I could get for $100,000.
  8. P Jardine

P Jardine New Member

I agree with Eric on most of the stuff... but not all:D

An interesting comment on the hogging, sagging etc. We don't have many 48-52-57 60's Connies up my way, but the 52 and 57 are favourites of mine.
    For the most part, bad blocking of a wooden hull of any type can lead to some shape changing over time. With the Constellation hull, it's problematic because of the way the hull is constructed. A lot of heavier builds used a substantive keel for a backbone, but the constellation design is generally the strongest at the chine. It does require some support on the keel, but it's bad news to support most of it's weight there. Lining up a bigger boat with a level on the stands or blocking is pretty key to keeping it's shape.

Wooden boats are not for everyone. They require a different discipline to maintenance, and a different skill set than most yards can easily provide, unless you are prepared to throw money at them. That said, I believe in the concept of stewardship, and I think it is an important concept. Working on vintage cars, boats, motorcycles, houses, ANYTHING... is usually more expensive/time consuming than building or buying something newer. However, if everyone thought that way, we wouldn't have very many of the aforementioned articles to look at from the point of view of history.

With wooden boats, just be aware that you have two parts: increased, cannot wait type of maintenance, and the added burden of often dealing with something that is 50 years old. I have never had a newer boat, I have never had a fibreglass boat (other than a dinghy) although I haved worked on most kinds of boats. I choose wooden boats. They drive me nuts sometimes, they depress me, frustrate me, but they also challenge me. I also take some comfort in preserving and being the current steward of a great piece of marine history, even if it is a small piece.;)

Follow your heart. If you want a 57 Connie, buy a decent one, and keep some funds in the war cabinet, and your tools sharp.

[​IMG]
    Marcus.Dagny likes this.