Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

56 Ocean Battery Switches

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by jlresq, Sep 7, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Am I missing something or are there NO master disconnect battery switches on these boats. I need to change out the batteries and was unable to find any disconnect switches. What gives.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I cant imagine that.

Batt switches are probably the first items you need to know about, along with all sea cocks. They have to be somewhere...
  3. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Pascal - they simply do not exist on this boat.
  4. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Any Ocean owners have the answer to this riddle?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe that Ocean used solenoids to disconnect the batteries. Aren't there what look to be a main breaker for each battery bank on the main electrical panel? Those usually shut the solenoids off which are about the size of a soda can and a goldish metal and mounted on the forward E.R. bulkhead. These cut power from the batteries.
  6. jlresq

jlresq New Member

I have a breaker for D.C. Main and FB Main. However, I believe they differ from the rotary switches I am used to seeing.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They should cut power from the batteries (like a battery switch), via a solenoid usually mounted on the front bulkhead of the engine room. Most of the European builders do it similarly and don't have rotary battery switches. Ocean did it this way on all of the Ocean's I've been on or managed.
  8. jlresq

jlresq New Member

Thank you. But, I still do not fully understand. I have a heavy gauge positive lead that runs from the battery directly to the starter. What if that lead shorts out? How do I disconnect it from going on fire?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, those are some of the differences in the build quality between an Ocean and a Hatteras, Viking, etc. But that lead should go to a solenoid, not straight from the battery to the starter. You can install perko battery switches.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Maybe a previous ownr removed the solenoid. I dont see the point of solenoids anyway... and i like battery switches to be accessible from outside the ER or just inside the door.

The cable is unlikly to short out...BUT the starter can get stuck and you need a switch
  11. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

I don't know if the solenoids were removed on my boat but on my 2000 43' Ocean there were no master disconnects. Part of the reason fro the major battery compartment rewire I did. There was a small solenoid (not operable) to emergency parallel the start and house banks but no master disconnect. Used to drive me crazy come haul out as I'd have to manually disconnect the battery terminals to prevent the batteries from being drained over the winter. Below is the panel I built and wired two winters ago.

20170423_1.jpg