Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

54' Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by ANSHINMARU, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ANSHINMARU

ANSHINMARU New Member

Researching the purchase of a 54' hat motor yacht. Detroit 8v92's.
    Any experience with this boat? What to look for, any info would be appreciated.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Which late 80s? The one with the large saloon and galley at an angle? Well build, runs well although a bit slow by today's standards.

Personally I don't like the very 80s whitewashed interior but some donas it is lighter

No aftdeck and no side deck is a drawback, just a balcony making line handling a little more difficult. But if you use the boat in colder climates where you don't spend much time swimming etc. the bigger saloon is a plus

The 8v92s are good but very sensitive to over heating. They work hard to push a boat that size. But if mostly ran at 9.5kts hull speed they are economical (10gph combined) and would last a long time

As to the boat itself, solid glass hull, very strong very well built with good systems. Fiberglass tanks a huge plus. Like all balsa cored decks watch for soft spots where people may have drilled holes to add things
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pascal is rite on.

Of course, have the motors and ship surveyed well.
  4. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

5. ANSHINMARU

ANSHINMARU New Member

Thanks everybody. I have been out of town. There are a number of things to consider. I thank you all for your responses. I agree that this is a heavy boat
    for the 8-92's. If you run this at hull speed I believe the engines will treat you well. Anything this heavy was not designed to run hard for extended periods of time.
    I will keep you updated as the search continues.