Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

54 Eb

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by EHayim, Nov 16, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. EHayim

EHayim New Member

was interested in getting a 54 EB as a live aboard.
    what do you guys think?
    id like to know some of the pros and cons.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am not familiar with the 54' Eb but ran a 74' a few times and it was a nice boat with a nice layout that handled well. You may want to take a look at the 53' Hatteras which I am very familiar with. It is a great livaboard and you can compare the two of them. Both are great boats.
  3. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Live aboard what? In a marina? at the dock in CR? A bit more info is needed to give you a good answer.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Viking does not make a 54 enclosed bridge- the smallest is now the 56.
  5. EHayim

EHayim New Member

yea i was planning on living at the marina. Located in long island
    thanks
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Does that EB stand for East Bay? Beautiful boat, BUT...... RU planning to live year round up here? Knew a guy who did that in a 50 SR Dancer. He gave his wife the house in the divorce and he took the boat:eek: . He spent about 30K installing a diesel fired heating system, lived in a marina where there were a few workers during the day and nobody but him and a few acres of shrinkwrapped boats at night. He had water only when it didn't freeze, and I assume he discharged overboard. It didn't last long. Living aboard isn't all it's cracked up to be and a 54 EB (although a great vacation cruiser) could generate some cabin fever after a few months. Also, check zoning laws. Most areas of Long Island have banned liveaboards.
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

There are several marinas in Port Washington in Manhasset Bay off Long Island Sound that have a number of house barges there, with folks living year round. So no surprise EH is planning to live up there. At Manhasset Bay Marina there are at least 6-8 barges, a little community of folks who love to live on the water, despite the strong west winds at times and freezing bay.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i've been living aboard for 5 1/2 years now and love it! woudln't trade it for anything. BUT... i dont' think i could handle the cold, ice, snow, winter water and pumpout issues found up north :) just like you woudlnt' live in a house facing a bunch of factories, you need to find the right marina and location, living in a boat yard isnt' very appealing. Need to find the right location, a nice view, etc...
    Being able to cast off for the evening or week end without having to carry anything to the boat and drive to the marina is great!

my 53 Hatt has plenty of room and privacy being fairly high above the water. And being at the end of a long gated pier, very few people walk by the boat.

I'm not very familiar with the Viking MYs. Indeed you may want to look at the Hatteras, heck Hatteras and Jack Hargrave invented the flush deck MY. Budget permitting, look at the later wider beam models like the 54 and 56. The 90s vintage 54 has a very nice layout with a huge saloon and open galley,although it doens't have an aft deck, jsut a balcony, but that may not be important up north.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Know that marina well. Those may be grandfathered in. I'm also guessing that some of those are summer homes and some may be for marina workers. Before in the early 80's house barges were fairly common around the island, but got pushed out by the zoning boards and environmental groups. The only new ones I've seen are for office use. Plus, living on a house barge is a far sight different than living on a boat (insulation, real heating systems, big holding tanks, etc). I'm still not sure if EH is talking about a Viking or an East Bay, but in either case I have to go with Pascal and say the old Hatteras makes a much better liveaboard. That said, nothing make a good liveaboard up here in winter unless you are seriously into pain, discomfort and a not so great love life.:cool:
  10. Manny

Manny Senior Member

I agree with Pascal. If you find the right location, it's actually very nice :)

of course, I never did it for 5 1/2 years or anything, but I have for several months, and I enjoyed myself on my 54 Bertram.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There be the rub. That and the right boat. I had that dream all my life. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wife) my time in Lauderdale shrank boats to the point where I could never afford what I'd be willing to live on.:D I will say that Manhassett Bay in winter was never part of that dream though.
  12. Manny

Manny Senior Member

fortunetaly for me, I live right in the best location. the Caribbean:cool:
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Currently 22*F, going down to 16*. Tomorrow's low 5* and Friday's High 14*. Anybody think living on a boat here would be fun?:eek:
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i dont' think living ashore in that kind of weather is fun either! i dont' know how you guys do it...
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually, it's a nice change as long as you can take the winter off. There's a fire in the fireplace and stew on the stove. I do miss the bikinis though although winter seems to give the girls extra incentive once summer arrives.:)
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

ok, so a fireplace is kinda romantic... but not as good as (never mind) year round. :)