Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

51 Bertram w/ 1050 Mans

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by lhnewman, Mar 20, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lhnewman

lhnewman New Member

Thanks for all your help in my boat search. Started w/ 43 Cabo...looking at 48 Cabo and now the 51 Bertram has entered my thinking. Since this will probably be my last $$$ boat, I want to make sure I don't out-grow it.

Has anyone out there had experience with the 51 Bertram...most in my $$ range will have the 1050 Man's. Probably 2002/2003 models. Any help will be appreciated and comparisms with the Cabo's we be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Larry 37 Tiara, Stuart, Fl
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would choose the 50' Viking SF of that era, long before a 51' Bertram for many different reasons.
  3. capt109

capt109 New Member

New Bertram 510 is coming!

I heard Bertram is just about to launch new B510 which has new concept of styling, performance and interior.
    I didn't see it yet actually but my freind told me it looks like new B540 and has totally new interior layout. The performance is also much better than old B510.
    They don't show it on their website yet but you could contact to their marketing team and they will give you detail information.
  4. VikHatBer

VikHatBer New Member

What are those reasons? (51' Bertram vs. 50' Viking) I would be very interested.

In 2000 we decided on a 1995 53' viking over a 1997 or 1998 50', because the salon and engine room in the 53' were a lot more cavernous and more effectively laid out. The 50' viking felt like an 'average' 50, whereas the 53' felt like a 'big' 53'.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 50' Viking with 1050 mans runs like a raped ape. Has a nice sized salon and 3 nice staterooms......and a good cockpit layout.......

The 51' Bertram is lacking in a few area's......speed is one of them......ride is another.......layout is another.......
  6. lhnewman

lhnewman New Member

To all

FYI Bertram either has installed or there is/was an option for a gyro system...apparently the 510 had some rocking problems at troll...anyone had this experience?

Larry Tiara owner Stuart Fl
  7. boblucas

boblucas New Member

The 1050's are good motors, but they smoke and if the 51 has any station wagon affect at all, it isn't fun on the troll. We have a 56' Ocean with those motors...same problem.
    bob lucas
  8. boblucas

boblucas New Member

The 50 Vikings had the same motors and the same problem. How about a 54 Hatteras with 3412's?
  9. capttommy

capttommy Guest

So let me guess, you are a viking and cabo dealer huh? That's the only explanation, because very little of what you say about any of the boats is true. I am a freelance captain, with a regular 51 customer and several vikings and cabos
  10. lhnewman

lhnewman New Member

Hey Tommy,

How's the fishing in Briland?? Rock House still rockin'

Have a contract on the 02 Bertram 510 in Cape Cod. Pulling the heat exchangers Friday and taking a look. Sea-trial right after. If all goes well, bring her down by the 20th of May and then off to Marsh for fishing.

Larry Newman The End of the Line