Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Comfort Click for Abeking

48 Catalina opinions

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by bushwood, Nov 17, 2021.

1. bushwood

bushwood New Member

My wife and I are interested in a 48 Chris Catalina (she has the Uniflite hull). Are there things I should be paying attention to/for that are particular to this boat? For example; stringers? Leaking issues? Soft spots, etc.

There is one in Portland, OR we want to check out. I know that a surveyor will find this/that but if I can be wary of things that are plus or minuses when we see her for the first time, I like to do my research.

Thanks
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Well that’s a very general sort of inquiry and I don’t know what your intended use is so I’ll have to respond in general. That was a popular model and a decent built boat. However it’s 35 years old so anything that hasn’t been renewed could be a concern. Fuel tanks for example.

You can walk the decks and check for soft spots. It doesn’t take a survey to do that. It’s easy enough to do at a showing. Same goes for anything visual like leaking windows etc.

If it’s the one online it’s got next to nothing for navigation electronics. Also I don’t see any mention of a generator maybe I missed it.

And while it’s been repowered I’m curious about their decision to go with the 6BTA. Nothing against that motor but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in this hull.

I see it’s been on the market for over six months in an active market with very limited inventory which makes me wonder why. Granted older boats typically take longer to sell but I’d ask if it’s been through a survey and didn’t close.
  3. bushwood

bushwood New Member

It is the one online. Good catch on the gen-set. I asked the broker and he said it has one but in his opinion, a person may want to update to a new one. He was candid which I appreciated. The electronics factor doesn't bother me. I would rather budget new so there is a 'clean slate' effect. I've been hearing that with a good iPad and Navionics, a dedicated chartplotter is way more expense and not updating as fast as an app does. I've had both so to each his own. He also said there are new tanks along with the engines.

Agreed on the 'it's been on the market a while' thought. I sold my 38 Bayliner in a week. Maybe that boat is older and the buying crowd is smaller?

I'm drawn to her looks and my wife really likes two center line beds rather than bunks, v-berth, crawling over someone, etc.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

6BTAs in a 48 footer will make it a trawler. I doubt it can get on plane.