Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

46 Post Owners

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Sneakin Off, Sep 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sneakin Off

Sneakin Off New Member

I'm currently looking at a 46 with 6-71TI, 450 Hp. I would appreciate any feed back about fuel consumption at cruise and the life expectancy of the engines. If there is anything else unique to the 46 I would like to hear about it as well. Thanks in advance, Gary
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi Gary,

What year boat are you looking at ?

My engines are less horse power so I can't help you with fuel burn.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

40-45 gph and hours seem to vary based on how they're run, if you do a search on the internet you'll see from 2,500 hours (run hard) to 4500 hours for the 450hp's
  4. Sneakin Off

Sneakin Off New Member

Chesapeake 46
    I'm located in Solomons and the boat is located there as well. It's a 1985, appears to be in pretty good shape.
    Gary
  5. chesapeake46

Hi

There were a few Posts at the Solomans last time I was there.
    Both in sheds and outside.
    I think 3 - 46's spread around and a 50 at the Spring Cove marina piers.
    I can't remember the boat names but they all looked well cared for.
    \
    Spme people complain about the Post characteristics in a following sea, but I have not experienced this " hunting " or " rooting" problem.
    I do not have a big old tender on the bow, which is what I always attributed the problem to.
    Also the "hunting" problem was more prevalent on the 42's seemingly with or with out tenders.

If I lift my trim tabs in a following sea, the boat runs nicely, surfing along.
    In a heavy stern quarter sea, it can be more effort at the helm but nothing I've ever cursed at.

Is the boat your looking at galley up or down ?
  6. Dktpost5097

Dktpost5097 New Member

Information on Post Yachts

To all,
    We are currently owners of a 1997 50' Post and previously owned a 1981 42' Post. Having organized the Post Rendezvous in the mid Atlantic from the mid 90's to 2003 and spending quite a bit of time at the factory I would be glad to try to answer any ones questions in regards to their boats.
  7. amtsmarine

amtsmarine New Member

42 post project

just bought a 1981 post 42 sportfish got great deal but needs work
    1 engine is apart the other runs well she has jt 6-71 ti 410 hp reman by jt with under 300 hrs im working on rebuilding port motor due to old owner not tightning the raw water pump plate and water leaking and getting sucked in thru turbo motor locked up so basically a rebuild will be done anyways another long project lays ahead QUESTIONS fuel burn ?? cruising speed??
    wot speed ?? wiring diagram ? expected engine life at 410 hp ?? boat came with military injectors????? m95 i belive r injector # i think ant help on this one would be nice thanks in advance alex

Attached Files:

8. chesapeake46

42 Post

Congratulations.

Looks like it does need some TLC.

Who took the engine apart, you, or the PO ? Just wondering.
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

wow.......i just recently replaced the raw water gasket and impeller becuase it was leaking.....good think i noticed that, i guess it could have shot water up to the airsep and cooked the engine....

good luck with the new boat, how about some interior pictures?
  10. amtsmarine

amtsmarine New Member

42 post 671 jts 410 hp

thanks for quick replies MOTOR WAS already taken apart by PO boats been sitting for over 10 yrs running motor & generator fired right up clean & no smoke
    motor sounds rock solid & generator runs great under full load ( rebuilt by previous owner- boat was a one owner open check book boat before owner fell ill & left sitting interior needs tlc rotten kitchen counters & cabinets
    and master stateroom has water intrusion from upper deck so some rot there too i will post new pics of interior soon thanks for quick response
  11. amtsmarine

amtsmarine New Member

im glad u caught water leak thats exactly how this motor locked up sucked in salt water thru air sep actually sucked water all the way home to dock then sat for weeks
    next time they went to go out motor would not turn over they called jt ( still under warranty) and oviously they denied warranty due to previous owners mistake what a shame for new factory reman motors by jt w/under 260 hrs tighten ur raw water pump plates correctly boys ITS AWFULLY COSTLY LOL
  12. Ave Maria

Ave Maria New Member

If the boat is proped correctly you are looking 28 to 32 gals per hour at cruise @ 2100 do not know what burn would be at max
    Post made quite a few changes to the 46 in model year 1988 to the the hull to try and make the boat better in a following sea and it did help they changed the bow deadrise and then added more deadrise to the stern made the rudders smaller and moved the water tanks to the stern of course everything is a trade off and the new hull handles better but it is probably 1 or 2 knots slower
    1988 brought other changes as well the outside vents where changed to the same design they use now the bridge seating and console was changed as well as the ladder to the bridge the salon door was moved from the out side to the inside and the bait prep center and cockpit freezer were included
  13. amtsmarine

amtsmarine New Member

??? thanks

mine is a 42 post not 46 which were u reefering too
  14. Ave Maria

Ave Maria New Member

Sorry message was meant for sneakin off
  15. amtsmarine

amtsmarine New Member

just bought a 1981 post 42 sportfish got great deal but needs work
    1 engine is apart the other runs well she has jt 6-71 ti 410 hp reman by jt with under 300 hrs im working on rebuilding port motor due to old owner not tightning the raw water pump plate and water leaking and getting sucked in thru turbo motor locked up so basically a rebuild will be done anyways another long project lays ahead QUESTIONS fuel burn ?? cruising speed??
    wot speed ?? wiring diagram ? expected engine life at 410 hp ?? boat came with military injectors????? m95 i belive r injector # i think ant help on this one would be nice thanks in advance alex
  16. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

ATMSMARINE,

good luck and congrats on the new boat!

RT46
  17. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Good luck with your boat and stick with it.

Hi I still have my '91 46 and still think its the best on the planet. My story is almost the same as yours. Two owners and the last one fell ill as well. She sat for 6 years and had all the same problems but the engines (692 JT's} were rebuilt by Detroit and then sat. They fired up and the rest was stuff I could deal with over time. Your boat just needs a master. Stay with it and you will ride one of the best on the water. She wont take the beating of Bertram but will ride fast and wont roll when the sea is favorable.

Your boat is classic and keep up the bright work. Enjoy your labor.
  18. amtsmarine

amtsmarine New Member

thanks for all the help this place is great

thanks for all the help !!! wiring diagram is great ill put up some more pics of interior project soon thanks again