Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

46 post c jewel

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Jeremyvmd, Dec 2, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I am surveying a 1987 post 46 called c jewel up in Bridgeport ct. just thought I would ask if anyone knew anything about the boat. Can’t hurt to ask. Boat seems in good condition with 200hours since majors. New electronics and looks pretty clean. Someone painted over the teak so I’ll be stripping that off lol. Should be fun.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Painted the teak???:eek: That would be one of those tell tales that tell me to check everything very carefully. Also a lot of these boats saw charter service (lots of hard use).
  3. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

The teak was painted at least some time ago as the paint is worn through and worn out. I don’t think it was a charter boat. Has a factory swim platform and no riggers. I plan on having a very detailed survey done
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Awlgripping the teak toe rail, eyebrows, etc became very popular as the wood aged, and the newer versions of the vessel were manufactured with glass in those areas. If you have ever had the experience of maintaining that amount of teak, in even halfway presentable condition, you know it takes a tremendous fund of energy or cash.

If it was painted correctly you will have a heck of a time cleaning the grain of that wood, I'm thinking. You might consider a repainting. If you decide to purchase, try your removal in a small, inconspicuous area to test for acceptable results?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good luck. At their hearts these are good boats. As for the swim platform that won't stop a tourist from fishing and it adds the possibility of chartering for dives. So check her good.
  6. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

Very true. I used this surveyor on a recent boat that I didn’t buy. He’s seriously detail oriented and super picky. So I plan on going over it with a fine tooth comb as he goes over it with a finer tooth comb lol

yea I may end up repainting the teak. It’s peeling pretty bad so I’m hoping they didn’t prep well
  7. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

PAINT WILL COME OFF AGAIN . PAINT DOES NOT STICK TO TEAK FOR LONG
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The paint won't come off in a sheet. The beauty of teak is that it has deep grain which holds oil. Unfortunately it'll also hold paint flakes. The only way to get it out is with a wire brush and lots of elbow grease or sanding off the grain (don't).
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Why are you yelling at us with incorrect info?? Its going to be a B***** to clean that wood and get it ready for clear coat after its been painted.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes it will if done right, but clear coating is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Oil it, let it gray or take it off.
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

If it were me I'd repaint it again. Oiling can be just as much work as clear coating. Main thing for the OP, though, is to make sure the boat, motors and other stuff is sound. Any Posties up here know of any inherent weakness in that model? 46 is a good looking boat!
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wood, and especially teak is a labor of love and pride. Hence why you find so little of it on boat exteriors anymore. Painting is a never-ending project, and clearcoat is no better. Oiling doesn't demand attention as it can be left to gray. Also, depending where it's at paint and clearcoat can be slippery under foot. The old Posts have a great reputation. That's why so many ended up in the fishing charter business.
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

We had the good fortune of owning a 1977 Egg Harbor for 13 years. Tears of love not pain (?) were left on that teak - now, its all gotta be inside or attached to someone else's luvly vessel.

Covering boards and cockpit sole were always left natural. washed with a little granulated oxcylic about every 2-3 weeks to keep it natural and light.

I hope the OP keeps us updated on his progress.

Excuse my spelling of some of these words .

PLEASE, stay away from products like Stemtac.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  14. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

Well as of now the deal is on hold. Seller is looking into issue with the starboard motor. I just cant catch a break.
  15. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Find the problem, cost the solution, deduct it from the offer if it's not a "fatal flaw" A 1987 of any make is going to have some issues. For instance, if its a matter of a valve job on the starboard motor, cost that repair out and adjust your offer. I would not have the seller do the work. Every other purchaser stands to find the same problem, so if the seller is reasonable, he gets the sale now. Detroits?

This vessel is beginning to sound like it has a number of issues starting with the paint condition you first raised. Is this a project boat on the cheap?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  16. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

Not really on the cheap lol. It’s a nice clean boat that needs some minor cosmetic work (basically the rear cap rails and rear deck both need cosmetic help, and needs new flooring in the salon). Brand new electronics package and “major overhauls” 200 hours ago. I talked to the selling broker and he’s gonna talk to the seller. I told him I would take the boat but would need to deduct an overhaul from the price. He says the boat doesn’t need an overhaul. I’m hoping when he talks to the owner he will come back with good news but not getting my hopes up. I looked at a few “cheap” posts abd realized they were more than I wanted to tackle so I started looking at more expensive ones hoping I could stop looking lol.
  17. BigChief

BigChief Member

I'm just down the road from that boat and if my memory is correct it was for sale last year in CT. It had painted teak that was peeling along the transom. The cockpit had a missing cooler or station next to the cabin door.
    I walked away due to lack of maintenance and to me it seemed neglected.
    Didn't make a offer and my broker agreed.
    Have your broker look at the yacht world sales history to see what it sold for.

Chris nebel is one of the best surveyors in CT.
    I found a 95 post creme puff, indoor stored it whole life..
    Chris was inside it like crazy. He was sure it had a fuel tank leak. Everyone said no. I walked again.....14k later seller had a new tank installed.
    Then major engine issues.
    morning mist was the boat

Shoot me a email, I looked at almost all the 46 in the NE and a few 50s last year before I bought my boat. You would be surprised what I found out.
  18. BigChief

BigChief Member

Confirmed, I looked at the listing again. I was on that boat. I think the rebuild was done before the seller had it when I looked at. It looks to be in better shape now. I don't remember that genny looks newer.
    Starboard engine was being worked on at the time, FN floor was up when we saw it.
    I'm thinking someone is trying to flip it.
    And I had a quote from a local diesel guy of 30k to rebuild a 6vi2 in place with 2 new Detroit heads, I know the one your looking at has 671s.
    Good luck keep us posted
    Send me a email if needed
  19. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I think they just put lipstick on it. It looks good but when you start digging in it’s just not worth the money they are asking. I was still willing to go forward but they didn’t want to lower the price any further. Unless I’m forgetting a boat it’s the most expensive post 46 on the market right now. I would expect it to be better for the price or come down on the price. Waiting to hear back from the actual owner as to how he wants to proceed from here. But at the price we agreed to needing a rebuild before I can even bring it home it’s just a no go. The whole rear deck needs to be redone too. Holes were never filled or really covered up from the removal of the cooler/storage box
  20. Treads

Treads New Member

I also looked at this boat earlier this year, and walked away after visiting the vessel. It was still shrink wrapped and on the hard when I saw it. Broker said owner was living in Texas now and was not expecting to return to the NE.

I also looked at almost all 46's from CT to NC this spring, frustrating to find almost every one listed needed some $20k-40K worth of work to correct issues, that the owners wouldn't even consider addressing/acknowledging. From rotted foredecks, to leaking hatches that rotted walls and floors in the heads, to owners that performed there own "upgrades and interior refits".

I can tell you that there is a 1995 46 for sale in MD, fresh rebuilds on 6V92's, less than 60 hours. This is the 46 that has the master to starboard with bunks in the bow. The boat is not listed on YW, but you should be able to find it on FB Marketplace. Or I could try put you in touch with the owner.