Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Burger

46 Ocean SS 1983

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Berean, Sep 28, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Hi all,

I looked at a 1983 Ocean SS 46 about a week and a half ago. Currently we have a 42 GB classic that is awesome unless you actually want to go faster than 8 kts.

We take out guests and fish or cruise, however the fishing is significantly limited by the fact that it is impossible to journey far offshore in our slow boat. On a day trip anyway. Moreover, the GB handles especially poorly on the hook in virtually any seas: she tends to hunt and with the hard chine the "snap roll" can be quite uncomfortable.

Therefore we have been entertaining the possibility of a SF. So anyway, this particular boat has 671-TIs (450's)...my all time favorite engines. The good news is that there is only 300 hrs since the last MOH. The bad news :eek: is that this MOH was in 2002! Also the Stbd window leaks, and the transom door needs repair.

Obviously I would get a survey including the motors. Also, although I am aware of the "flexible flyer" moniker and seaway shortcomings (min deadrise at transom and flat bottom aft) with difficulties when going right into the seas and difficulties with following seas, I don't know much else about these boats.

I guess I am looking at any insight you guys might have in general re the 1983 46 SS so that I can ask the right questions and look at the right stuff before I decide to shell out $$ for a survey.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

IMHO, The sportfish market on the older boats seems really depressed. At the current bargain prices, you can likely buy a better quality boat than an Ocean Yacht within a similar price parameter. If you heart is set on the Ocean, and she's a moviestar and priced right - go for it. If not, perhaps you may want to look at an older Viking, Hatteras or Bertram. There are deals to be had, but you have to do the legwork. As always, YMMV.

If the Ocean is the target, survey thoroughly and go from there.
  3. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Thanks.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

It is still a buyers market, but for how long, I don't know, take your time, look at as many boats as you can, and make some offers........you might be surprised when the broker calls you back after you gave him a "leave me alone offer"...........

Oceans can be great boats for the right number......

Btw, a lot of traditional SFs are being used as cruisers while the money crowd dumps crazy money into big CCs to race to the canyon and back with quad
    OBs......l
  5. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Thanks.

The remarks regarding the Ocean SS on the Internet are all over the board. The comments span the spectrum from very poor on one end to reliable, relatively economical but fast (in the right conditions) on the other.

The fact remain that their are many Oceans in charter service. I would not think this would be the case if all the negative comments out their we're entirely true.
    The previous poster is correct in saying that some of the better regarded boats (Hatts, Berties, etc) can also be found at very low asking prices in the current market.

However, relative fuel economy is a priority for us. What I have learned, what I have taken away from my research so far is that similar sized Hatts, Vikings and Berties have higher operating costs (fuel). Not only are they heavier, but often they will be powered by 8-92 TIs instead of 6-71TIs.

Now, I do highly value seaworthiness just as much as the next guy. But our use will include cruising and fishing. This dual use factor is also directly impacted by the prevailing weather conditions: if it is snotty, we are cruising the ICW. We do not have any plans to bust offshore in 25kt winds "come he'll or high water". I anticipate therefore that the scenario where we might find ourselves in very rough conditions to be the exception, not the rule. Therefore, I see the Ocean SS as not only a viable option but even preferred based on economy and relative accommodations for the relatively terra firma based people whom we serve.

If my thinking is flawed I humbly seek your schooling! :)

John
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i think you are correct....
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Berean

I assume you are talking about a standard SF and not the aft cabin Ocean also made. Oceans are a "Jersey" style hull - good forward dead rise, tapering to a flatter bottom toward the transom. Hence the speed and economy. Oceans are also light. Oceans will be more stable at anchor than the traditional deep vee, eg Bertram or Viking type hulls with their 16 degree plus dead rise to the stern. Those boats will take heavier seas, though. Ocean fixed most of their boats with keel problems, but check what era that occurred to be sure your target isn't one of them. The Oceans I've been on had nice fit and finish inside. Look for one with a mid ship master for a little more comfort at night. You're going to get some hull slap on the chines that you probably didn't notice in your GB. Also check out the engine space to be sure you're happy with the tight spaces. No matter what boat you select have it thoroughly surveyed, and happy hunting
  8. Berean

Berean Senior Member

The SF, not the aft cabin. Thanks for the feedback!
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

In the same category, The 48 Ocean is a nice boat also.
  10. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

After 20 + boats over the last 18 years, I can say that fuel economy should not be the deciding factor in your choice of a boat.
    Consider the entire combination of machinery, design and importantly the quality of workmanship. Especially coming off a GB.
    If you are reading regular negative opinions on a boat manufacturer, take heed and don’t talk yourself into the deal just because comparatively sized boats are more expensive, there is a reason and it will show up in the number of days you miss out on enjoying the fishing/cruising and when it comes to resale.
  11. Berean

Berean Senior Member

I can't argue with that. I appreciate it, thanks

John
  12. jsv20

jsv20 New Member

We love our 1982 42' ocean, the interior is really roomy and on deck plenty of space to entertain. We watch the other boats at our marina bob and weave and ours barely moves. We have 471Ti's and fuel economy is really good also especially at low speeds. I have had plenty of old time boat guys tell me how well and thick they built the hulls back then, mine is solid as can be.
  13. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that. You have 4-71s? Really? I have not seen similar in my search...Those are rated 325 HP @ 2600 I believe. I don't know much about them though. What is your cruise RPM / speed/ gph if you don't mind me asking?
  14. jsv20

jsv20 New Member

My survey states they are 285hp. They run wonderfully I've played with different rpms and checked out my speeds ect...
    What I have found is we can travel at 9 or 10knts at 1200rpm and burn about 3gal/hr per engine or jump up on plane at 1800rpm then back it off to 1500rpm to stay on plane running 13knts or so. But we do have 22knts in our pocket if we need them running around 2500rpm. They are true iron horses!! no trouble what so ever and in my case they use almost no oil. We traveled 400 miles from Oriental NC up the Elkton Md and needed to add 1qt of oil per engine and haven't added any since may this year.

Many mechanics told me how 3208's were not very reliable when we were boat hunting I am glad we went or were able to find what we have now.

Having said that the new diesels are fantastic in the new boats.
  15. tcat46

tcat46 New Member

Hello Berean: I've owned a 46 Ocean SS for some 10 years and found that the myths started by a rival boat company about Ocean Yachts are just myths, Flexible flyer, etc are just untrue myths that stuck, talk to owners of the 46, don't listen to hearsay (for any boat or engine). Three years ago, my Detroits needed major overhaul, and after a laborious decision, I repowered with a pair of 450 HP Cummins with new transmissions. The boats tops out at a little over 29 knots with a comparatively economical fuel burn rate, and certainly less fuel than the Detroits. It's time for me to move on, so if you still have interest in a 46 SS, I suggest you look at my brokers listing (holiday harbor yachts sales in NJ). I don't think you will find a better deal ona 46 SS. The asking price is much less than the amount I put into the engine room. Good luck in your adventure.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I can say the flexible flyer thing is not a myth. I maintained a 1987 63' Ocean SF, which we never had any structural issues with, from about 1997 to about 2009. The owner and his brother both owned 63's but his brothers had a tuna tower. Needless to say when the boat was hauled, the foward slings would bend in the entire rubrail area of the boat about 9" on each side and crack the varnish down the entire toe rail on the bow. His brothers boat did the same thing. Then later by putting 8x8" blocks underneath the rubrail, it stopped cracking the varnish everytime it was hauled.

I also worked as a mate on another Ocean way way back where the owner had 12 cylinder MAN's crammed into a 53' Ocean SF (new), I think the boat was a 1993. The boat cruised at 37-38 knots, back then. At cruise the engines tweaked the stringers over so much the engines were in the middle of the aisle and 2" apart (almost touching each other), when at the dock you could fit between them.

This being said, I've never seen any Ocean's come apart or have major structural issues, personally.
  17. Berean

Berean Senior Member

8X8 blocks under the rub rail? You mean outside the hull under the rub rail between the hull and the sling? I'm not quite picturing how the blocks work...
  18. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Thanks...
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Below the rubrail, and between the hull and the slings. If you use 4 or 6' long blocks they'd help dissappate the stress along a longer surface and the straps wouldn't touch the rubrail itself and press against it. Similar to hauling a boat with spray rails
  20. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Got it. Thanks