Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

43' Sofa Replacement

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Reel Antsy, Aug 17, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Anyone replace their sofa on a 43? Looking for an alternative to my old Flexsteel cloth sofa. I've looked into reupholstering but haven't made up my mind.
    Would love to replace with the look of original but in a faux leather or similar material with the L shape return, in a less-expensive price than what I've seen so far.
    If you have photos and a link, would appreciate seeing what you have.

Thanks.
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

we re-upholstered many years ago.
    Mostly because it fit the space so perfectly.
    I think before Pleather was popular.
    Replaced the back cushions with big pillows.
    Removed the folding bed from the frame made it easy to get on and off the boat.
    I don't know the name of the fabric but it has held up well and it's WHITE !!!!

White fabric next to a hole with two bus engines was not my choice but it looks great even now.
    Plastic drop clothes are my friend.

Sorry , no digital pictures and I don't know where to even look for the regular pics.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

So you're saying no red wine and leftovers from Pasta Plus on or near the sofa?
  4. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

LOL, No way man..... plus we have a dinette and a back deck.
    No eating that crap on the sofa !!!!!!
  5. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

A winter project is going to be replacing the chaise L-sofa with a folding futon couch frame (futon material has come a long way) which will double as an extra bed. This will be hinged to the bulkhead to allow lifting of both big engine hatches
  6. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

Did the Futon couch project take shape this winter? I’m keen to see photos of how it all came together.
  7. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

We purchased a modular set from https://www.homereserve.com/products/7 It is in the basement waiting for the boat to come home from winter storage (hopefully Friday?) to get installed. Will post pics when it is in. The original unit with pull out bed is going to recycel tomorrow.
  8. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

Got the old couch out so I could lift the hatch and align the engine properly. Going to be another few weeks before anything goes back in the spot I will try and keep you guys posted
  9. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

@Greg Page - is the outgoing unit’s frame salvageable? We have a pullout love/seat sofa that doesn’t fit at all that the prior owner put in. We’ll take it off your hands if the frame is in good shape.
  10. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

The frame is structually sound by part of the upholstry on the pullout unit front had come unglued. I unbolted the fold out assembly but it is all there. The matress and seat cushions are already gone.

None of the local charity places takes units needing repair anymore. I'm a long way away to pick up but give me a call early tomorrow if you want to talk. I was taking to recycle in the morning but will delay a bit. I tried to PM my cell but said I can't start a conversation. Send me one if you can and I'll reply with my phone.
  11. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

12. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Pics from last spring when we bought it. First one shows the one upholstery issue.
    IMG_2914.JPEG

IMG_2919.JPEG

cushions shown are already gone

IMG_3979.JPEG
  13. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

i just sent a note.
  14. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Ugh. I just got back from dropping them off since didn't hear and needed to empty my truck. Sorry.
  15. Tight Lines

Tight Lines Member

That’s ok. Thank you for uploading the photos. After reviewing, I realized that we need a sofa frame frame out of a Gen 1 43 or potentially a Gen I 46.

Our house door opens to starboard on the exterior side if the deckhouse bulkhead. I am hoping to find an original frame that fills the space completely from the aft bulkhead to the end table / microwave cabinet that includes a 4x4 cutout to accommodate the mechanical chase coming down from the bridge on the back corner. For us, all of the aftermarket options will leave 6-8” of dead space between the “L” on the sectional and the bulkhead. In a perfect world we would remove the pullout from the frame, make new cushions, refinish and create rod storage in place of the hide-away.