Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

43 Post microwave

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, Jul 21, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

What to replace the microwave in our 43. Would like to know what others have installed. Hoping to put in a new combo unit.

Ours has some not well done PO trim added to down-size the opening. I pulled the trim to get a measurement of the original opening but haven't tackled looking for how (or if) it is secured so information on how they were oringinally secured would also be appreciated (I read the 50 Post microwave post so will look to see if something similar was done.

Thanks - Greg
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Mine is not really nailed down.
    The floor of the cabinet has recessed circles, like a hole saw slug, almost the depth of the feet of the microwave.
    The feet fit into these holes.
    The trim around the opening prevents it from coming out of the hole
    The trim must be removed before you can see or do anything with it.
    My boat is a lot older than yours tho.
  3. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Thanks. I had thought of the recess for feet approach. Will look for that.
  4. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

91-46. Post carpenters were very talented. My access is at the backside bottom of the bar below the microwave. Pemove the small panel, reach up and there is one screw holding a platform. Remove it, go around to the front and pull the hole thing out. Mine was a Sharp and over 20. I called the company and they assured me that they understand absolute compatibility. I bought a convection microwave and it fit in same footprint as the old one. Had to replace it about a year ago. Did the same thing again with a newer convection. Fits perfectly.
  5. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

That is similar to the 50 Post install I found info on earlier. There is a cabinet under the microwave and I didn't see an obvious screw. It could have been covered when the inside of the cabinet was painted so I'll need to get my mirror and look closer.

Microwave cavity is pretty shallow (~13.5") so limits the usable replacements.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

It's not uncommon to find screws upward, from the underside of the shelf into the "feet," securing small appliances. (I just struggled with removing a small, old tube TV secured that way. A reciprocating saw fixed it, although that also means some cosmetic touch-up is now required.)

New combo microwave/convection units also often seem to include an "air fryer" feature, for what that's worth. I've read there might be higher exhaust temps when using that feature, so adequate ventilation perhaps becomes even more important.

-Chris
  7. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Did a little investigation today while waiting for the new unit to arrive. It looks like the factory install was by screws coming up from the cabinet below as there are empty screw holes in the top of the lower cabinet. I removed the lower trim piece to see how the current one might be installed, the PO GLUED it in! Not sure yet with what but looks like furnace cement(?). I'll probably use the sawsall to cut free, then have to figure out how to remove the giant glob of cement that the unit feet are buried into.

Ugh
  8. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

One of those vibratory saws should do it all.
  9. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Good option. Will have to see if the blade will reach far enough.
  10. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I used one to trim the granite when I changed my cooktop.
  11. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Lucklily the mircowave was glued in with plumbers putty. A little slow pressure with a pry bar and it stretch and came loose.
  12. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Sometimes previous owners don't screw you. !
    Greg Page likes this.
  13. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Test fit. It has 4 holes near the feet which I'll use to bolt it down from underside of the shelf. Might open up over the op a little. Will keep ends open for airflow since this unit has convection oven, air fryer etc. Will need to plug old trim screw holes and do some refinishing of the face.
    IMG_4266.JPEG
    Reel Antsy and chesapeake46 like this.
  14. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I haven't refinished the plugged holes from the PO's monster trim screws yet but it is bolted in place using #8 self tapping sheet metal screws into existing holes on the bottom of the unit.

68217894727__3325D67E-F251-4624-AA4A-C33925964026.jpeg
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  15. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Greg.
    If that is a convection oven, I would strongly urge you to provide as large an area as possible above your installation for venting. You will definitely have a heat issue without it.
    I'll post a picture of mine once my wife finishes cooking, the air coming out of mine is about 90 degrees.
  16. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I have been considering an upper vent/grille (or maybe connecting to existing vent hood) but waiting to monitor temps with my IR thermometer to see what I need. Having trouble locating a nice looking wood vent plate.

Will look for photo of yours.
  17. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Yes, mine's a nice decorative metal screen, painted flat black with wood trim.
  18. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

IMG20220815114943.jpg Here's mine.
    You can't see it in the reflection but there's actually a cooktop on that surface.
    Greg Page and Reel Antsy like this.
  19. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

Can see our cooktop conversion at the end of galley overhall thread.