Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Cross

4207 Window replacement

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Captjdic, Aug 21, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Captjdic

Captjdic New Member

Hi. I have a 1989 Carver 4207 Aft Cabin MY. One of the sliding windows (port side) needs to be replaced. Can the window be lifted and removed from the frame OR does the entire frame need to be removed from the boat? I've gotten conflicting opinions but would like to hear from some one who has experienced the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
  2. Carver390

Carver390 New Member

Hi Jim,

What prompted the window replacement? Leaks? I have a Carver 390 and my port side sliding window leaks. I am hoping to get some ideas on cause/ cure.

Thanks!
  3. Captjdic

Captjdic New Member

No, it wasn't leaking, it just broke. A loud snap at 2:30 in the morning woke me up. Found the window in a million pieces but intact in the track. Tempered glass. Finally found a marina that was helpful. You would think the glass pane would lift up and the bottom could be pulled out. Not. Carver told me the frame has to be taken out of the boat to remove the glass. Not true. The frame is welded.

Turns out the frame is fastened into the boat by screws on the inside of the frame. However, there are pan head screws in the top of the track. They fasten the top of the track but are NOT screwed all the way in. They are left somewhat out, or not tightened all the way, as to rest just above the glass panel, so it can slide in the track. But it cannot 'jump' up and become dislodged from the frame.

Solution: Tighten the top screws (pan head) all the way into said boat. This allows enough 'wiggle room' to lift the glass panel and remove by pilling out from the bottom.

As for leaking, the frame would have to be removed, re-caulked, and re-installed. A messy job but not impossible. I had a Carver Montego with a leaking window panel. Took me 2-1/2 hours to do the project. Most of the time was in clean-up.

Capt Jim
  4. 30West

30West Member

Are your drains all clear? My boat had a bunch of leaves and debris in the channels under the glass, water backed up and came into the cabin. I was able to pull enough of the covers out of the tracks to clean it all, and so far no more water getting in.