Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Burger

42 motor yacht fuel tank

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by billo, Sep 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. billo

billo New Member

I am considering a 42 motor yacht gasoline powered and presume I will have to replace the fuel tanks as non ethanol fuel is not available in Massachusetts or Rhode Island.
    Has anyone done this? Are the tanks accessible to replace? I only boat 50 or so hours a year in Cape Cod area so gas power would be OK despite the weight of these hulls. Thanks, Bill
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A 42 M/Y gas??? Wouldn't be my choice. What are your tanks made of? Have to think that most of the problem tanks have been attended to by now.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pretty thin description. How old the boat? Model? For sure glass tanks?
    Why are you considering a 42 footer in gas?
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

There is nothing on a boat that money can't fix. Why you would want to is another subject entirely.
  5. billo

billo New Member

Boat is a 1978 in Maryland repowered with Mercruiser horizon's with 100 hours (3 years old). If main tank could reasonably be replaced it would meet my needs for cruising block island to cape cod in the summer. Maintanance cost would be less and a hull speed cruise would burn about the same fuel as diesel. The 6-71 detroits in these were mostly the pancake or slant engine rather than the 6v71 and parts are less common I suspect. Regards, Bill

6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lets try this again...

Can not help if we don't know what were talking about.

Pretty thin description. How old the boat? Model? For sure glass tanks?
    Why are you considering a 42 footer in gas?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

AND, who sold you this trash?
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

In my experience fuel tank R&R in a 40' - 50' boat with just some cockpit deck, or in your case cabin floor removal is going to run a minimum of $15K - $20K. Surprises push the number upwards from there. As much as $30K - $40K or more would not be impossible. Unless you're going to DIY it.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Amazing.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

First, you haven't confirmed the tanks to be fiberglass. Are they? Are you certain?

If they are then the cost of replacing them should be deducted from the selling price.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If its a real Bertram (as the thread top line), It is probably a factory glass tank. Comparing year model and serial number with someone that really knows, could help determine what resin it was made from.
    For some reason the OP does not want to answer to many questions here so I'll recommend the Bertram Glass tank experts.
    Call High Tide Marine in Marathon FL.
    They handle all old Bertram data and new tanks.

As to purchasing gas engines, see a shrink.
    As to trashing any Detroit's with poor info, Stay with the gas, sharks and lawyers have to eat also.
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

I actually know somebody who did this to an old Hatteras double cabin. He moved from the east coast to CA and shipped the boat out. He absolutely loved his boat. Ethanol vs 1977 fiberglass tank. Fiberglass tank lost.

I would have a difficult time talking myself into removing factory fiberglass fuel tanks to replace with welded aluminum. Honestly it would make more sense to repower with some running take-out diesels.
  13. olderboater

Ralph. There are far more gas powered boats in the world than diesel powered. Gas isn't an absolute negative. At 50 hours per year, there's nothing inherently wrong with gas. If he was talking 1000 hours per year, there would be. However, if he isn't absolutely sure, he does need to find out from High Tide, as you suggested, exactly what he's talking about in tanks.

All my boats until 2012 were gas powered and I used them far more than he plans. Now planning to buy gas engines and trashing Detroits is illogical on the surface. Also, the assumption that maintenance costs would be less is questionable.

Where is the boat currently? Sure would make more sense if it was being used in an area where ethanol-free gas is readily available.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In my experience you'll rarely find gas on a motor yacht over about 38', and you'll rarely find a buyer for one that is.

Is this the listing? http://www.**************/boats/197...otor-Yacht-2883733/Baltimore/MD/United-States
    because that says diesels, but yes those tanks would be a pain to change out. But as RER said: "There is nothing on a boat that money can't fix. Why you would want to is another subject entirely."
  15. billo

billo New Member

Thanks for all the replies. The tanks are fiberglass. Already spoke with High Tide. They have not replaced 42 tank. The tanks are shoebox design and riveted together at seem (300 +steel rivets). Will custom make aluminum tank $4 to $5K.Talked with Raybo Marine in NY no tank coatings are viable $$$ wise because of rivets,baffles,interior tank access,etc. Boat is in Solomans MD only ethanol gas by county regulations. Non ethanol available across the St Mary (different county). No ethanol free gas available in MA and RI where I plan to keep boat. Gasoline is more economical for my intended use. I have looked at 42's with the incline 671 TI's but don't want turbo motors. I am recently retired, wife has terminal cancer. Everyone has a budget to live with I have boated for more than 40 years and know the costs involved. Regards,Bill
  16. olderboater

Sounds like you'd fully made up your mind before posting here. Don't guess we have anything to offer then. If you're looking for someone here who has done what you're talking about doing with that exact same boat, then unfortunately the odds of finding them here are close to zero.

You've obviously got a strong preference for gas that is shocking for someone with 40 years experience. I would add one warning, although hesitant to do so believing you'll probably reject it too, but many of the boats such as the one you're looking at have already had ethanol in them and leaked. Make sure your surveyor knows to try to assess that, although it may be difficult before the tank is removed. So, you may not know the extent of damage or the work required until you remove the tank. This is what I've seen in studies of fiberglass tanks and ethanol, especially older ones before changes in type of resin.