Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

40 Post sport fisher (wood)

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by newtopost, Sep 25, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. newtopost

newtopost New Member

Hi everyone.
    After some searching i have found this site dedicated to Post marine yachts.
    I am a very new owner of a 1973 40 ft wooden post marine sport fisher owned it three days now in total.
    The boat has two gas engines running 330 hp plus a onan gen also gas.She has some hopefully small issues with hull some worm damage.I an totally new to all of this but am very motivated and would very appreciate any advice or information i can get about the boat and bringing it back to good condition.

Thanks in advance.
  2. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

congratulations

The wooden Posts were quite the thing in their day.I believe they built a 37' and the 40' if my memory serves me.There are still several around here in CT that I see every summer they are good looking boats.As you get into your project post some photos of what woodwork you are doing or need to do.Although I only have fiberglass boats presently,I am and always will be a wooden boat guy at heart and still help friends hands on or just with advice on reframing,replacing planks or transoms.

Good luck with your new boat!
  3. newtopost

newtopost New Member

Thank you i expect to spend lots of time here gleaming as much information as possible.
    I have not had a physical inspection of the boat yet have depended on a survey to make the decision to purchase but the price was the decision maker.Hull has some areas suspected damaged by toredo worms hopefully not too bad.
  4. newtopost

newtopost New Member

Here is a picture of our Post very excited about the prospect of being boat owners for the first time hope we have not bitten off more than we can chew.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
  5. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

If you are planning on keeping the boat it is extremely important to keep the bottom painted annually. I would haul the boat out asap and check the extent of the worm damage. It should have a sacrificial worm shoe on the bottom of the keel. If the worms get into the keel it could be an expensive repair. You really should have looked at the bottom before you bought her, but I know how that goes. A worm shoe is just a piece of 1 1/2 to 2" thick piece of creosoted wood with a piece of tar paper between it and the keel. At least that is how it was done on the Gulf coast.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've also seen a sheet of copper between the keel and the shoe.
  7. newtopost

newtopost New Member

Hauled out

The vessel is out of the water at the moment waiting to be moved to somewhere i can sort out the hull issues.
    My most immediate issue seems to be finding insurance coverage so that i can move the boat to the storage area (they require it)
    I will be stripping all the bottom paint to have a good look at the planks then hopefully repair with CPES and refill with more epoxy and follow the procedures used on a post 37 Sanzone on rotdoctor.com
    We hope to make this a liveaboard in the Bahamas and eventually Mexico.
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

WOW, good luck, please take and "post" detailed pictures
  9. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

I have filled wormholes in keels where there were only one or two holes with thickened epoxy after hooking the worm out if it was there.Patching planks,whether rotted,flayed ends at butt blocks or worm damage is not a wise thing to do. Damaged planking needs to be replaced.At this point the most important thing you can do is hire a surveyor familiar with wooden boats so you can get insurance and good advice at the same time.A good surveyor will inspect the scantlings,remove screws from the planks in strategic places,especially the garboard planks and check the condition of the fasteners,thus giving you much needed guidance as what to do first.
    Good luck.
  10. newtopost

newtopost New Member

great info

Thanks for the info so far.There has been a recent survey completed while the boat was in the water said the overall condition was fair so that encouraged me to go ahead with the purchase.
    i will be going to see the boat soon looking forward to that but apprehensive also.I have found that the bilge pumps are not working so it is luck that the boat is out of the water.
    These are the shots of the hull i have to hand if anyone can give me their opinion on how bad it seems that would be a help.

Attached Files:

11. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

If it was my boat that plank would certainly be replaced.
    Get a surveyor or a boatwright to inspect and sound the bottom,especially the butt blocks and garboards. If the condition of that plank is just an exception compared to the rest of them you may get off easy.
    Whatever course you decide to take remember that the bottom of a boat is everything and it's structural integrity must be in excellent condition.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congratulations and good luck with the new boat.

we will be interested in your progress and prolly all of us would like your updates and pictures.

Regards
  14. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I'm almost sure I was looking at your boat out of the water today and actually inquiring about buying it. Is your boat in FTL on the hard right now? Boat's actually in pretty nice condition aside from the rot (assuming I was looking at the right boat), she's nicely preserved for her age. My first boat was almost a wooden Post but right before I closed, Hurricane Andrew changed things a bit.

Regardless, congrats on the purchase.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you look at his posts up above, he says right now it's out of the water and located in FTL. Chances are it's the same boat. So how bad is the bottom in? What do you think it would take to fix the bottom? I think it would help our poster out a lot to have someone's opinion that's seen it.
  16. newtopost

newtopost New Member

40 Post sportfish

The boat is out of the water at the moment happy about that for the moment don't want her to sink.I will be moving the boat to a more longterm location close to where it is at the moment in preparation to go see it and start work on the hull.My plan is to fix the problems replace rotten planks beyond saving and epoxy seal and fill those that are salvageable.
    Here is where it may get interesting with the bottom stripped i am considering coating the hull in polyurea.I have been in contact with a company that applies it and have been told it does not need anti foul paint after application and is a one time application and never needs re application.The coating can be purchased in black to match the current bottom coating is smooth co slippery in the water and can be any thickness required by building up layers of spray.It cures in minutes and is super strong impact resistant and flexible.
    That does everyone think?
  17. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

I think that before I would pay to have it done I would find another wooden boat that has had it applied and both speak to the owner and look at the boat's bottom to see how it is holding up.

Chemical patch repairs on the bottom: Wood swells,epoxy,polyester or vinylester resins,thickened or not,do not.Any resin patch repair done on the bottom needs to be completely covered and made watertite or the swelling wood will force it off the wood eventually.Your idea about this product theoretically would cover the repairs,but is it compatible with epoxy? If it is and your bottom is sound,ie; all fasteners tight and planks in good shape,your idea would have merit.
  18. newtopost

newtopost New Member

bottom condition

Hi all.
    Had my first look at Lady Marion on Friday past in Fort Lauderdale.The bottom looks like it has been neglected for a few seasons lots of peeling bottom paint which has allowed the worm damage in at least three spots that i can see towards the rear of the boat.There is some wet and rotten wood also around the transom area.Bilge pumps seem inoperable so there is some water in the bottom of the boat.The lady Marion is very impressive and when i get her to her work yard peeling the bottom paint will reveal what i am facing.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's amazing how quickly damage occurs when you neglect a wood boat for a year or two. Goodluck with your project and she has beautiful lines. I wouldn't put anything on the bottom except traditional bottom paint and primer and would religiously haul it yearly. Wood swells and contracts and most coatings do not. Paint the bilges well.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

welcome to the forum and boat owner ship!

there are a number of big red flags being waved here starting with the "recent in water survey". If "recent" means it was supplied by the seller or broker, frankly such a survey is worthless and shoudl never be the basis of a purchase decision. There is simply no way to inspect the bottom which is critical on a woodie

You need to get the boat inspected by a good surveyor familiar and experienced with wooden boats. the survey will involve checking planks and fasteners among other things.

the fact that the boat has been neglected is another big red flag... woodies can not be neglected!

a big issue you're going to face is getting insurance as well as a yard which will take the boat in. Many yards will not even let the boat in since they have been burned too many times by owners who simply walked away from woodies that were beyond repair. This is unfortunately even more of a problem in florida where there are few wooden boats and craftsman able to work on them.

there is a reason these older wooden boats are cheap: the initial purchase price is often a fraction of the overall cost.

I really hope i am wrong here and hopefully the damage is limited to a few planks and repairs will be feasible. Before doing in any work and spending significant $, you need to know what you're getting into and whether or not the hull can be / is worth repairing.

as to coating and "miracle sures", be very careful as these can do more damage than good. Wood expands in the water, which is why a traditional woodie which has dried is usually kept in the slings after launch with additional pumps until the planks have swollen and no longer leak. Covering the wood either prevents this or result in the coating cracking.

good luck, i really hope it works out and the boat can be saved.