Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Abeking

3M 5200 expected life

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by FujiJohn3221, Jul 19, 2022.

1. FujiJohn3221

FujiJohn3221 New Member

Rebuilt deck to hull joint on old 1976 32' ketch, drilled out the old (some corroded) rivets, pulled out the shrunken caulk, used 5 tubes of 3M 5200 and 176 high strength aircraft grade rivets. The 5200 has a strength on fiberglass of around 362 psi and rivets are over 765 lbs breaking strength. Boat is noticeably stiffer and no leaks even at 45 degree heel (not ideal angle).

My dockside pundits are saying the 5200 will not last, where do I find the life expectancy of 3M 5200?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Probably from a factory data sheet.
    But from life experience, It will out live us.
    Usually, the material it is bonded to will long be gone before 5200 degrades.
    The only Kryptonite to 5200 that I know of is the Sun (or de-bond).

Now, the material it is bonded to;
    Fresh oily Teak? Poor surface to bond to? Glass? These could be issues of 5200 up front.

For hull planks that usually used cotton or flax, an old argument is when the planks expands, it pushes the caulk out. 5200 does not compress well for below the water plank caulk.

So, IMO, good surface to bond to, that surface does not move much, that surface has expectations of a long life,,, I don't see an at first failure.

Now, Send us a picture of what you are working on..
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Fishtigua and YachtForums like this.
  3. FujiJohn3221

FujiJohn3221 New Member

Fiberglass to fiberglass (362psi) - haven't figured out how to post pics of correct size.
    Factory 3-page data - sheet lots of great information except no life expectancy.
    Thanks for your insight
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I've heard stories of 5200 below the water line acting as an invite for worms in warm water. Truth of fiction? I don't know, but as Ralph stated, I've never had an issue with the 5200, only with teh material to which it was bonded. Below the water line I'd keep it coated with paint.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fiction.
    I would call that story, Bull Fiction.