Click for Walker List Your Boat List Your Boat Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay

38 Roamer Riviera caught in Noreaster... Hold on!!

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by homer1958, Nov 12, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That was pretty bad camera steadying, but the shots out the side left me asking: Where are the 8' to 10' seas claimed on the video. More like nasty 3' to 5' although grant you I'd rather hit 8 to 10 on the ocean than 5 on water like the Chesapeake or LI Sound. They stack up inside and will break you and your boat up. I can attest that 6' on the Sound can send the bow of a 40' Formula almost vertical and a 3' chop on the Ches has sent me into port with a 38 footer.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"Where are the 8' to 10' seas claimed on the video. More like nasty 3' to 5'"

you're being generous... i'd say 3 footers, not even 3 to 5... i think by 8 to 10 they referred to the spray!
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was.:cool:
  5. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Next time I'll step overboard with a yardsick and measure for you.

Of course they were not consistent 8-10 footers... they were averaging probably about 5. The wind gusts were upwards 40 knots... if you think not check the October 30 small craft advisory on the bay. That was indeed what was hitting us 35-40 knot winds--- 3 footers? Whose 3 footers? "Bigfoots?" The hull alone is about 6-7 foot of the water at the bow. Were there some 8-10 foot swells hit straight on... you bet. We filmed a few minutes, not the whole day we were out there. And correct, the bay is at times a very nasty chop... short wavelengths are brutal.... 15 foot rollers in the ocean are often far less treacherous.

Point is, this boat is 42 years old and had not one creak anywhere from tip to toe... most new boats could not claim this probably.

Does it really matter anyway?... sheeesh enjoy the show.
  6. homer1958

homer1958 Member

New Roamer in 4-6 footers

Chris Craft 40 Roamer - YouTube

They must be full of it too... if ours were 3 footers these must be 1 footers. They claim they are 4-6 footers... Roamer owners must all have Pinocchio bows...
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Roamer

The sailboat in the picture was fully vertical, most unusual with 40 kts wind, and it's main was up. I say 4 ft max..1/3 rd
  8. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Whatever...

Again.... 40 knots were top gusts.. not consistent... as the day moved on it got better. The photos you see are at 3:00 not 9:00 am. It's for fun anyway... does it really matter what was going on at any particular moment? Must you all criticize?... Sheeesh.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

This is a tough crowd.:D Guess you'll know for the future to always underestimate your stated sea conditions so others will come on saying 'wow you're good. Those actually looked like+++':D Meanwhile I think everybody got your point about older boats being built like brick S---houses compared to the new ones built light for speed and economy. I suspect they're just having a bit of fun with you. I brought a Four Winns south through the Ches several years ago into about a 2' chop and thought it would fall apart under me.
    It really was a decent video though, but you have to stablize the camera better or edit. It did feel like being there. Unfortunately many here have been through a lot worse stuff. So we're a little hard to impress. Thanks for posting it though.:)
  10. homer1958

homer1958 Member

It's all just for fun...

I could not steady the camera and tried... that would not happen in 3 footers. Point is the bay is a lousy ride.. one of the worst. That boat has been in way worse crossing Lake Ontario... I recall 12 mph up the waves and 25 down.. but that type of water is much easier on a boat and people... the bay is nasty, choppy and to put it mildly "bangy" on any hull.

Point is the plus of the Roamer is the hull strength and lateral stability.. it just does not roll... now, if there is a weakness it is a slight pound at the early bow hull area as the boat approaches 22 mph in 3 plus footers. The other weakness is all the glass... they really need to be fortified in the glass cockpit area... this one was and is a rigid as a rock.. otherwise there can be some mild racking in the cockpit glass area... this is common on the 37 and 38.. not sure about other models? It is true there is not one creak in this boat.. not one.. even George the boat mechanic aboard was surprised at this.

The Roamer will go fast, but at heart it is a planing hull and will not cut the big waves like a deep vee will, but for the average day of boating it is safe and stable.. a bit of a wet ride as you can see... Chris spend their money on the hulls and this flows true with their their other products as well... they cut corners in some other areas.. but they made a great boat for the money and screwed-up to allow SeaRay to steal their market niche in the late 70's.. but if you compare a new Chris size for size to a new Sea Ray.. Chris is considerably nicer since Stephen Julius bought the rights to the name from Ruppurt Murdoch. Many people are not aware of the but the new Chris Crafts are designed by a fellow from Italy's Riva... if you look at the new lines you will see the likeness.

Yes... tough crowd here.. but who cares... it's all for fun and information.... this forum was started by Eric V I think and certainly has taken on a life of its own on popularity. Point is Roamers are good boats to restore, are somewhat classic/ timeless... if the metal is good... and they all should be surveyed prior to purchase.

Attached Files:

11. homer1958

homer1958 Member

12. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

agreed. and few and far between ...

:)
  13. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Homer:
    Maybe a tough crowd, I learnt a while ago never mention the size of wave/fish etc. without either a photo or understatement.

One thing for certain: you have a VERY VERY CLEAN boat. If you’re the one doing the polishing, well done!
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Beautiful boat.
  15. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Thank You

And.. thank you again....

Interior upholstery being started this week.
    For those looking to re-upholster .. check out this new product called "RAVE".... makes ultraleather look silly... just can't tell it's not leather... it is that good looking and feeling.. feels thick not thin like Ultraleather does.
  16. jones_christop

jones_christop New Member

Exciting Video!

I don't care about the video work: I wish I had been there. Looks like you guys had fun with the waves! I have a 37' Roamer Riviera myself that I just bought and can't wait to get out there...

Fair winds and following seas, homer!
  17. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Congratulations

That's good Christopher, unfortunately I no longer post on YF due to a few disagreements and some foul language posted towards me by a New Zealander code named K1W1, as well as some unpleasant words from some dubious Roamerfile name "Kenny" with a boat called Shangri-La.
    But if you have any questions you can always send me a private message.

Until enough YFers complain about these two person's language/ and or approach, I will not return or contribute. Take a look at their workmanship, you be the judge.

Good luck with your 37!

Homer