Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander

35 Bertram Rudders

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by JHartz, Apr 8, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JHartz

JHartz New Member

I need some advice--trying to pull the rudders to repack on my 1973 (hull 35576-578). The posts are hung up in the pillow blocks and I thought I'd ask the question before using brute force. I see High Tide sells the pillow blocks, but can I simply replace the bearings? What is the best way to get the rudders free?

This is a Great Lakes boat, with the original 427's.

Thanks!
  2. Maderia

Maderia New Member

35 Bertram rudder removal

I owned a 35 and replaced my rudder bearings. these can be purchased at a local bearing supply. Standard components. Just re-coat the painted surface. Rudder removal. Put plenty of corrosion block, WD40 etc on while doing this. Remove top collar on rudder post. Remove one or two set screws that are on the bearing inner race where the rudder post slides through. If they are corroded badly then carefully drill them out to the correct depth without drilling the rudder post. My father had a 46 bert I removed his bearings but had to grind the bearing block apart. One piece at a time. I used a small 4 inch grinder.
  3. JHartz

JHartz New Member

Thanks for the advice... as you found I had to use a small grinder and cut it out in small pieces. I used the HighTides nylon inserted pillow blocks, they work great. Now I'm building new side panels in the cockpit, probably Formica on hardboard, then painted.