Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

3412e glazing???

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Millennium, Sep 12, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Hi I have a cat 3412e that is rated at 1300hp in a planing speed commercial fishing boat I have been operating this in at low rpm . I am concerned that I have glazed up my cylinder walls. 3 questions
    Am I damaging my engine ?
    How can I fix this problem?
    Is there a way I can continue to operate at very low rpm without a reacurrance of this issue?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Why do you think you may have glazed the cylinders? Is the engine hard to start? Lots of blowby? Smokes?

If none of the above are indicated but you still can't sleep at night, take 2 aspirins and run them up to speed for a few moments each hour or two.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I agree with Marmot.

I also have to ask if this is a commercial game boat or commercial fish boat.

If the latter it makes me wonder why it was setup with a highly strung engine in the first place.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the boat i run has 3412Es rated at 1400hp. we often run a hull speed, especially on the spring/fall trips up and down the coast and so far so good at 3000hrs. I always run on plane for 15 to 30 minutes at the end of a long slow days
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The CAT 3412's are pretty good at metering fuel at lower rpm's. However, I would run the engine at cruise for 30 minutes every 6 hours just for peace of mind, or at least at cruise for 30 minutes right before you get to the dock. If you do bring it up to cruise after running at slow speeds for a long period of time, what does the exhaust look like? Is it clean, a little smokey, very smokey, how long does it take to clean up if it is very smokey?
  6. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks for the speedy replies guys what a great resource you all are. The boat is a 20m aluminum planing vessel capable of 30 knots, but because of catch restrictions in our lobster fishery I have been operating in the deep sea crab fishery as well traveling long distances with full tanks where cruising at 20knots is not an option. The main reason I think I have glazing is the poor fuel economy Im getting when I operated the boat at normal cruising revs. Also the engine mis firing on start up unless I crack the throttle a bit. Are these fuel and oil additives that claim to reverse the glazing the real deal?
    Thanks again
  7. Millennium

Millennium New Member

There is a fair bit of smoke at start up but after that nothing unusual.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What is a usual amount of smoke?

Do you get much blowby ( crankcase pressure) when she is running?

Does it burn any Lube Oil?

Do you find anything unusual in your Oil Samples?

If it misses only at startup and smokes a bit till it warms up some I would say it doesn't have much to do with glazing but is more likely a carbon buildup on one or more of your injectors that makes things a bit rough at get go. The smoke and rough running could also be from a leaking nozzle or two dropping fuel onto the piston crowns that takes a bit to get going when she flashes up.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Define poor economy? Do you have fuel glow data, how much are you burning at what speed and what RPM

First thing to check is condition of hull and running gear

When you say misfire, do you mean hunting? Rpm going up and down a bit before settling?

Obviously in cold weather you ok have more smoke at startup
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might also want to have a look at this to remove some myths.

Bore glazing
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You might benfit from a good fuel additive like Diesel Kleen.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would say that your link would be far more expensive than re lining the engine.

If you have some personal grievance with what ever I post take it up with me by PM or talk to Carl, don't pollute and degrade the forum with trash posts giving other members crap and or misleading advice.
  14. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Not a good Internet response to prior link.
    Hope this helps:

Google’s links for Bore Glazing

Google

P.S.- Obviously, the first return (coxengineering.co.uk) is not of help, currently.
  15. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Your first link is a dead link- does that qualify as trash or misleading advice? :D
  16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Gents,

I'm a little overwhelmed of late with YF upgrades and GF downgrades, so please give me a break and give yourself a break... if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. That phrase is something I've become intimately familiar with recently.

PLEASE... stop sweating the small stuff. It's a HUGE turn off for YF followers and frankly, it's unbecoming of the quality of people that inhabit this forum.

Carl
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Apologies for posting a duffer, it did work when first posted but doesn't from here now.

This is where I found it though.

bore glazing - Google Search
  18. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Super... thanks for the working link!