Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

3412e aftercooler maintenance

Discussion in 'Engines' started by TahoeJohn, Feb 18, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

As part of a slightly overdue 3000 hr maintenance, I've pulled the aftercoolers out of my 2001 Cat 3412e engines. I had read that they should be taken to a radiator shop for cleaning and pressure testing, but the first shop I tried this morning said that he couldn't boil them since they were aluminum. (I will add that he's never see an AC previously so he was hardly an expert.)

I'm looking for exactly what I should do at this point... thanks!
  2. BigChief

BigChief Member

I have 2008 c12 cats, with aluminium aftercooler cores. Cat says every six years replace them. They get thin over time with salt water, boiling them removes more metal and makes it more susceptible to leaking water into the intake of the engine. Then Boom your done....
    A cat dealer can give you the recommended replacement interval for your engines
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lots of Cat AFs post here on YF.
    Please do some searches.
    If they are original AFs, Replace them.
  4. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Thanks, but my older engines are fresh water cooled and I don't think (could be wrong) that they have the same replacement schedule. The Cat maintenance schedule specifically calls out replacing saltwater cooled (SWAC) units every 6 years. Hopefully someone with experience on my "separate circuit aftercooling" (SCAC) units might pipe in.

I have searched, but all I seem to be able to find is discussions about the newer "C" engines and the problems associated with ACs on those models. I do apologize if I missed something specific to my engines.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6. BigChief

BigChief Member

Are you a Member over on boat diesel?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Given the age (years) of the aftercoolers, they haven't made a 3412 since 2003, just replace the **** things.
    BigChief and CaboFly like this.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The 6 year replacement schedule doesn’t apply to the 3412s
  9. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Good pointer, thanks. I found what I needed over there. Cheers!
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No it doesn't but on their best day they're 18 years and over 3000 hours old......A little PM goes a long way. Everytime they're cleaned they lose metal......
  11. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Most a/c's were probably serviced at 1000 hrs maybe 5 or 10 years, not every two years. The h/e's would go thousands of hrs and years before pulling and cleaning also. If I were buying a boat with 3412's it would be time to to service ac's and a good inspection of the he's if not recently done.