Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

24v LED

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by SplashFl, Aug 31, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Anyone know of source for these approx. 2" flush mount LED's in 24v dc ??
    2.3 in LED.jpg
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

The spring mounting on the fixture looks similar to the DRSA "L'il Inagua" models (although latter also swivel slightly, inside a satin/nickel bezel).

If indeed an older DRSA product, the fixtures were not originally LEDs, but the original halogen or xenon bulb can be replaced with an LED. In our case, the LED replacements are a 10-30VDC back-pin G4 from marinebeam.

And in general, LEDs from marinebeam (and probably other reputable makers) are often 10-30VDC intending to deal with either 12V or 24V while also allowing for sloppy DC voltages in a marine environment.

-Chris
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

DRSA or Lumitec maybe. I don’t like LED fixtures as you can replace the bulbs when they fail. I prefer basic G4 fixture so you can replace the bulb.
    gr8trn likes this.
  4. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Two small wire crimps and fixture easily replaced. I think they look a LOT better then those with exposed bi pin bulbs.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

until you have a couple of bad ones, find out they are discontinued and need to replace all of them :)

some have frosted lenses hiding the bulbs
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hella made LED sealed ones that were 2" I believe. LED fixtures that look like that. I had the same issue and found them to work.
  7. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

That is what I have wondered about folks changing the fixture instead of just swapping the G4 pin type. I sort of get it, in that I can see the LED light emitting chip through the frosted glass in my OEM fixtures. Doesn't bother me so I just kept the fixtures and replaced the "bulbs". I am still amazed the original 10Watt halogen bulbs did not melt more ceilings, those suckers are H O T.

I would look at IMTRA

https://www.imtra.com/products/product-search?producttypeid=504&filterBrand/Category=Downlights
  8. Kubcat

Kubcat New Member

When I purchased my boat there were lots of spare LED bulbs on board. Looks like eBay specials.

I have had two that let all the smoke out of the fittings and could have ended a lot more badly.

Now I suspect they maynpossibly not have been 24v.

I have purchased what appear to be good quality 30v led globes and they are working well, except in the one fitting that let out too luch smoke.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hate it when that happens.

Lucas had factory smoke in a can to help re-install leaked out smoke for their products.

Owl Sideways.png
    Kubcat and leeky like this.
  10. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

In reviewing this thread, thought I would add; a buddy in the boat business informed me he had heard the old quartz "heat lamps" were found to be cause of several head liner fires in a popular mass produced brand of boat he used to sell.
    After failing in a search for a specific type of blue 24 volt LED's for a couple exterior surface mount fixtures I recently resorted to changing the "sockets" to accommodate the LED's that are available. Someone had suggested using a Sharpie to color the available white LED's and that actually worked, for about 2 weeks, and despite little use, the blue turned white again.
    Blue.JPG
    Kubcat likes this.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The worst were halogen bulbs in closets which would stay on if the door wasn’t closed all the way. I ve also seen halogen ceiling lights which could burn up a door if left partially open under the light ….

when I took over the 110 lazzara I run, everything was still halogens! Replaced over 300 bulbs with cheap LED bulbs from Amazon. A few have failed but overall good value. In our case it s a little more difficult to find compatible LEDs since the lights are 24 VAC instead of VDC. Many LEDs don’t work on AC
    daydreamer4 and Kubcat like this.
  12. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We eventually stumbled into figuring out some of our interior overhead lighting circuits are AC... apparently converted to low voltage, probably 24V (AC? DC?), and possibly 24VDC.

As it happens, the 10-30 VDC LEDs we use from marinebeam worked... whether I at first knew what I was doing or not. (And that influences my guess that our step-down from 120VAC is to 24VDC.)

-Chris
    Kubcat likes this.