Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

2021 Global Order Book

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by mapism, Dec 30, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I tried to post this in the "Yacht News Builds & Launches" section of the forum, which I thought to be the most appropriate, but I just noticed that it's reserved to admins.

Anyway, knowing that several forumites are usually interested in the situation of the boating industry, I believe that someone will find this recently published research of some interest.

No association of any kind with the website or the specific research.
    I just found it worth reading, and thought that also someone else here could, too.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I always find it interesting although somewhat suffering through more builders refusing to provide then numbers. When I was in a major company we always refused to provide sales and other numbers and used the reports to gain insights into competitors although came to question their numbers.

Now you have the entire Ferretti Group, Princess, Sunseeker, Fipa, and Westport (and perhaps others) not participating. I believe that the top four are likely still Azimut-Benetti, Sanlorenzo, Sunseeker, and Ferretti Group. I also believe, but certainly can't prove, that at least one showing in the top ten has exaggerated their numbers.

What it does show is a good year although slightly down from 2019. I see 2021 looking good in new deliveries because in the larger sizes most were started prior to the pandemic. However, I worry about new starts into 2021 and 2022 until the world economy shakes out.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I don't think the pandemic is affecting the order book radically, at least on larger size yachts.
    OTOH, it can certainly affect the actual capacity to deliver.
    Only time will tell, I guess...
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I know some builders who have experienced delays with buyers on future builds. On larger yachts 2020 and 2021 and even 2022 were already decided prior to the pandemic. However, some of the builders to build spec boats, not all to order and those are definitely subject to the economy at the time. Then there are new orders, that would be finished in 2022 and 2023 and future. There is a softness on new orders from those I've talked to or indirectly gathered information. There may also be some finished boats immediately hit the market but always some of those.