Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

2014 Azimut 43' Magellano--Making Offer and Survey Questions

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by blkennedy, Aug 27, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. blkennedy

blkennedy New Member

Hello to all--new to these forums and I figured I would post here since I have some questions. I have been doing the research on these Azimut Magellano boats and have researched whatever I can find including the forums. I am now pretty familiar with most other options in this size and price range including the SeaRays etc. I am buying a boat for the New England waters based in Hyannis Cape Cod for island hopping and few night trips to Maine etc. I understand the tradeoffs (Possible service and it is slower boat) but love this boat for several reasons. I understand they are slower (OK by me) but everything I have read and seen suggests a good stable boat for these waters. I like the Italian finishes, three berth/two head design, open cabins/galley, flybridge design and the build quality looks outstanding. These are shaft drive boats, no Pods and Cummins engines with Joystick controls.

The boat I am looking at is a 2014, based in Florida, around 400 hours. It is priced reasonably and has Platinum extended warranty until 2022. I have talked to Boston area MarineMax sales and service people about their experiences with boats/owners and they get great reviews and have no issues taking care of the boat if need be. I talked to a captain (not owner) who took the same boat from Mexico to Southern Florida and he loved the boat. So far so good. I am now looking at making an offer (via my own broker), performing a complete survey including Cummins Factory Tech for separate engine and generator inspections. I would require the full 500 hour services before bringing it to the Cape in the spring. I will be there as well.

What particular issues should I be sensitive to with these Azimut boats during these inspections ? It has been used most of its life in California (Venice area) and now Florida. I appreciate the input.
  2. blkennedy

blkennedy New Member

PS: I am checking where this boat was built--Brazil versus Italy based on forum feedback and the boat was purchased in Venice Florida
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I would ask for verification of the service history looking at invoices and reports to verify the lack of problems .
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3 years old 400 hours.
    Marine Muts gonna take care of it.
    It's a Mut
    Nothing here so far has impressed me.

Survey it very, very well.
  5. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The Magellano line AFAIK was all build in Italy, in a new facility in Sardinia. Building specification is also a bit different to other Azimut.
    Solid bottom and Core used above waterline.
  6. blkennedy

blkennedy New Member

That would be great. I am confirming on my end that the boat I am looking at is in fact built in Italy. Can you tell me what AFAIK designates? I appreciate everyones input
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

AFAIK. As far as I know.
  8. blkennedy

blkennedy New Member

Missed that--thanks!
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I assume when you're talking about Marinemax in Boston, you're referring to Russo? If so, they do appear to have a better reputation than Marinemax in other locations. However, the question is how long the family stays and manages things. They were the largest privately owned dealer in the NE and acquired by Marinemax in April, 2016.

This is just one of their recent acquisitions. They acquired Hall in the southeast this January. If the Russo deal is structured like that deal there is great incentive for the family to remain active.
  10. DougWhite

DougWhite New Member

All very interesting input. Did you go ahead and make your purchase? I'm considering the purchase of a Megellano 43 in the UK for use in the Channel Islands where we have big tides and usually lively seas.
  11. blkennedy

blkennedy New Member

Based on concerns for service and build we have decided on another boat. I love the Azimut Magellano and believe it is perfect in several ways I could not get over this. For the EU/UK markets it may be better but if buying used all I can say is serious survey. The newer 53's are built in Italy--the 43's are built in Turkey--after very confusing inputs from several sources. My preference was for the Italian build but 53' pricing started to reach a threshold we could not pull off. Good luck on your journey
  12. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Are you sure about this?
    Magellano was never build in Turkey. What was build in Turkey but the agreement has stopped in 2011 was flybridge 40, 40S, and new 42 a development of the 40 Flybridge.
    The company which used to build the small Azimut has stopped the agreement since three years and is now called Serena and since a year are competing with the Magellano with the 56 and 64 models designed by German Frers.
  13. blkennedy

blkennedy New Member

I wish I was wrong. I have looked at this extensively and taken pictures of the Model info plates on the 43' Magellano boats. Per the factory and Marine Max last week they are still built in Turkey. 50/53's are built in Italy
  14. DJ Catalyst

DJ Catalyst New Member

Very late addition to this thread. But, now that Sirena is out with its own line, the industry (reviews, etc) all state that Turkey-based Sirena has been building the Magellanos for a number of years (and still do). Not sure if it builds all lengths, or whether it has built all the Magellanos on the water. BUT, the Sirenas look am awful lot like the Magellanos, so clearly there is major Magellanos/Sirena linkage.