Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Delta

2007 ocean 46 ss vs 50 ss

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by frank lunati, Apr 15, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. frank lunati

frank lunati New Member

so I'm moving from a 2006 sea ray 480 Sundancer into either the 46 or 50 super sport. There seems to be plenty of info on the 50's but none on the 46.... the 46 has everything I'm looking for including the larger cat 865 hp engines... most of the 50's for sale come with the 825 hp dd's.... size wise I like the 50 but not the engine.... anybody have experience with both these boats??
  2. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I have done a bit of research on these two boats. The 50 came with 3406 cats 800 hp. Mtu series 60's 825 hp. And c18 cats at 1050 hp. Pretty much the same power options as the 46 except for the c18 not being offered on the 46. The Hull design of both boats is pretty similar with both hulls being the newest generation ocean design with 14 degrees of transom deadrise. The salon, master cabin, and VIP guest cabin on both boats appear to be similar layout and size. The differences that I have seen are. The third cabin on the 46 is a small single bed and will most likely be used for the storage. The third cabin on the 50 has two single beds. The next major difference between the two boats lies in the engine room. The 50 has an almost stand up engine room and outboard access to the engines looks quite easy. The engine room on the 46 appears to be a bit tighter. Lastly the 46 is a faster boat with the same power as the 50. The 46 should cruise 30 and top 35 with the c15 cats. The 50 is about 3-4 knots slower.
  3. frank lunati

frank lunati New Member

thanks trinimax, I am leaning towards the 46, going to look at one this week.