Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck

2005 Viking 61 vs 2005 Hatteras 60 sportfish

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by wiredup, Oct 14, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wiredup

wiredup Member

So, I just came out of a beautiful 62' custom sportfish with C32's. I need to focus on work for 6 months, then may want make a value play and go production boat for a few years, while my son is young and to help with cash flow. There is nothing performance wise better than what I just came out of. 1900 rpms was 33 knots at 100gph. Looking at options for next year, I have kind of narrowed it down to these two, maybe a 64' viking. I can find both of the above with c32's. I have friends that have a hatteras with 32s, and they say 30 knots at 1950 is what they see. I have not seen numbers with a viking 61 with C32's, but assume similar to the hatteras numbers. Can get into a hatteras for probably 800 or so, viking 900- 1mill. Do any of you have incite into either model with those engines? What would you do? I am steering clear of MTU's and MANs. Thanks in advance.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run both, the Viking is a little bit better beam and stern sea boat. But, the Hatteras EATS a head sea and ride is somewhat close in a beam and stern sea. Both are slightly wet boats. The 60' Hatteras with a hardtop will cruise 32 knots with C32's at 80% load, I never ran one with a tower. The Viking is more efficient with 1650 HP C32's, I ran a 2006 with mezzanine deck and with a tuna tower cruised 34 knots, so a hardtop boat would be 1.5 knots faster. The one I ran had the extra bow tank (3 tanks), it pounded and ran wet with it full, but I'd transfer it into the main tank ASAP. The Viking has the better cockpit layout in regards to fish boxes, ammenities. Both boats are good boats. Depends on what other things you like. I wouldn't be afraid of common rail mans, they're good motors. The cat's are thirstier and noisier (engine noise and exhaust noise), whereas the MAN's are quieter at all RPM's and a little more fuel efficient.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

4. wiredup

wiredup Member

Thanks for the response. I do agree that the newer common rail MANs seem to be good engines, although I still believe they make you do the crazy expensive service every 1000 hours. But, haven't seen the newer ones in these 2 models, only 1480 mtu's, 2000 hp mtu's, or the C32's. X factors in the decision are: Wife wants better bedroom accomodations than what was on custom boat, I do have bluewater yachts (viking dealer) near by, worried about MTU's for the vikings, c32's are easy to work on, and have a very good cat mechanic that I am close to for service I can't do myself.
  5. wiredup

wiredup Member

Thanks for the links and I will read through, but those are 8+ years old, and am looking for newer info since these models are 10-15 years old now, compared to a few years old like when those threads were started. I know all about the gelcoat issues Vikings have had, and many are painted now, even some of the hatterases are painted. I don't think bilstering would be too much of an issue with these two models 2005+. My father had a 2002 viking 52 for 2 years, and it was a pretty solid boat. I am trying to find accurate performance numbers, and real world fishability/cruisability between these. The articles that originally came out for these models aren't true indicators real world info.
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I am not sure what hitting a whale in the link to the bad company boat has to say other than the superior ability of a balsa cored laminate to withstand an impact.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Aren't all Hatteras painted?
  8. wiredup

wiredup Member

I am not sure. I had a 1975 36' as my first boat, and it was painted, but thought that was due to age of it.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd stay away from MTU's (Multiple Trouble Unit) personally, they just always seem to be alarming for something on all of the ones I've ever run. MAN's downfall are sensor issues, but they're not that often, every year or two (closer to two) we have to change a sensor on the common rail boat I manage. Yes, you do have to clean all of the coolers every 1000 hours on the MANs (most owners forgo doing them every 2 years regardless of hours (or 1000 hours)which is what the MAN book requests). AT 1000 hours, you're going to be doing all of the CAT coolers also, and CAT mandates changing the aftercoolers every 6 years, and I WOULD do that as I've seen my share of aftercooler leaks on them. C32's have a lot of engine resonance noise and exhaust noise, MAN's are far quieter in both aspects, much smoother, more fuel efficient, if you're doing a lot of hours per year, they're actually not too bad service-wise as the interval for the synthetic oil is annually or every 400 hours.

All Hatteras' have always been painted. Awlgrip up until 2006. Alexseal from 2006 and newer. The performance numbers I gave you are 100% accurate as I've run both boats with C32's for at least 1000 NM's.

Really, you can't go wrong with either. They're both good running boats. It's going to come down to the boat itself, the cockpit and interior amenities.
  10. wiredup

wiredup Member

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. Haven't been in the production market in a long time as have had custom boats for the last 14 years, and am worried about being disappointed, but, for the money, can't beat these two. The c32's are LOUD, but was able to deal with it since I was cruising at 32-34 knots!
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

At one time , Hatteras used Imron paint before they switched to a linear polyurethane product, hard to find the year when the switch took place.
  12. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Hatteras made the switch from Imron to Awl-Grip in 1980. U.S. Paints had the commercial aircraft market cornered in the early & mid seventies with their linear polyurethane product "Alumigrip" as it had a considerable weight advantage over the epoxy based Imron. The first boat painted with the newly named product "Awl-Grip was the aluminum Americas cup yacht "Courageous " built by Minnifords in City island N.Y..
    Ted Hoods yard in Newport, R.I. painted the boat in 1976 as an experiment and it was all the rage that summer for its gloss and wet look compared to the other vessels. Courageous went on to win the Cup in '77 and the marketing of Awl-Grip began in earnest that yr..
    One of the first "marine paint pioneers" in South Fl. that took a chance on this new and hard to apply paint system was Bob Roscioli. He had a steel motorsailer up on the seawall in 1978 @ the old Striker Yachts yard (Hurricane harbor) south of Bradford's that his team of micro-ballooners coated in Matterhorn White and it came out beautiful. The principals of Merritt Boat Works also at this time started experimenting painting Wood and cold molded vessels around this time and had great results. Builders and repair yards followed shortly thereafter.
  13. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Well that's an interesting read with two words that I've rarely found together in a description for high performance coatings be it a single stage or a multi component product. "Polyurethane enamel" would be a head scratcher chemically together. The newer versions of Imron (4000 & 6000) are acrylic urethanes. I always believed the early Imron to be epoxy based due to its requirement for epoxy primers & its tendency to "Chalk" in UV . Imron had the hardness, gloss & DOI but had much more pigment than other high performance coatings coming into use and it was a heavy coating when considering the 400 gals to paint a 747 of the time. I think the term enamel is being used to describe the finish and not so much as a chemically derived product.
    Never to old to learn something new and this is certainly new to me that there was (or is) any enamel that could be catalyzed.
    Time for remedial education on my part. I'll report back under a "paint thread" in a few days as to not dilute this thread any further.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  15. wiredup

wiredup Member

Just wanted to follow up and say I ended up getting a 2008 Hatteras 60Gt with C32 1825 hp twin diesels. I bought the boat in Destin and recently ran the boat across the gulf, then through the OWW to Stuart, fla. Boat is very fast, and was impressed with the ride across the gulf. One surprising issue that came up that wasn't detected on the survey, is that the starboard strut was loose (didn't seem so at time of survey), along with a cracked shaft and sheared engine mounts all on that side. The theory is that the previous owner ran the boat with bent props for awhile causing some significant torque/vibration. Those items are being fixed right now at American Custom Yachts, who rebedded the strut. We all were a little surprised the struts weren't beefier based on Hatteras' history, and with having large 3" shafts. Anyway, looking forward to getting the boat out of the yard next week, then bringing her back to Va in April.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're a good running boat. I'm guessing yours is a hardtop boat as you crossed the lake. What was the sea state in the gulf? Last 60' I remember running had 1650 HP cats, and cruised at 32 knots with a hardtop......yours should cruise 34/35 knots? Was the crossing rough? My guess is you had or broke motor mounts and then that caused the cracked shaft and strut issue......but purely a guess...….check motor mounts on other side.
  17. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Congratulations on your new boat!
    The strut design is a function of material, safety factor, horsepower, gear ratio and propeller diameter. They also have some hydrodynamic goals to factor in, not wanting too thick of a cross-section.
    I think Hatt used an up-graded CAT engine mount for that model, would be interesting to here what the root cause is.
    Time to put some fish on deck :)
  18. wiredup

wiredup Member

This boat is the GT, so more custom looking than the previous 60 that was present up to 2008. The standard engine in the GT is the 1800hp ACERT, vs the 1650 in the previous model. This boat does have a tower, but at 1750 rpms, 60% load, 32 knots. Tops out at 43 knots. My father and I ran the boat down, was blowing HARD out of the north, so ran along the beach to apalachicola, then ran south to anna maria. Was 4-6 feet but going with us for most of it.

The previous owner changed the mounts on the other side which is what is curious. That's the one issue buying used boats, you just never really know how well they were maintained. I am getting her tip top though. Ceramic coated the whole boat, new mezzanine cushions, new soft goods, etc.
  19. wiredup

wiredup Member

ACY had a tough time finding matching engine mounts. My mechanic here said isoflex has them no problem, so for some reason they aren't the typical mounts.
  20. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Yes, I think Hatt spec’d them on their own, not a CAT catalog item.