Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

2004 VIKING 48 Convertible Spare Parts List for Mexico/Central America Route

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by UNLEASHED, May 6, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

Looking for recommendations for spare parts list. Want to be prepared but not to the point that there is no room left.

Working on adventure to take our VIKING 48 Convertible from San Diego on the Mexico/Central America route through Panama Canal and all the way to Florida. (Pat and John Rains book)

Has Cat C18s with only 550 hours and and Onan 17.5kW genset.

Will go in two to three week segments with lots of fishing. So could also bring parts along as fly back to cities on each leg of adventure. Last year put 6,000 miiles on our Grady White Express 330 in the Sea of Cortez.
  2. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

If engines have been serviced recently and assuming 6K miles mean 250 to 300 hrs:
    - Engine Oil
    - Engine Filters
    - Coolant
    - Gear Oil
    - Gear Filters
    - Fuel Filters
    - Impellers (also for Genset)
    - Belts
    - ATF for steering trim tabs etc

For any further specific advice:

http://safety.cat.com/cda/files/538455/7/C18+Marine+Engine-M

franz
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,
    It will only mean that many hours if the boat is doing a minimum of 20 and a max of 24 kts every second the ignition is on.
  4. franzmerenda

Sure, no doubt you're right.

Could also troll half the time, that means some 600hrs just for it.

That's why I thought the best was putting the link of maintenance intervals specific for C18 ;)
  5. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

Thanks for quick responses.

The spare parts list is helpful. I will carry all of that list for certain. Also, already have spare live well pump snf raw water pump.

However, wondering about more major items for engines and generator such as water pump, starter etc.

To clarify: The Viking 550 hrs and 4,400 miles.

The 6,000 miles on the Sea of Cortez last year was on my Grady White Express 330 which now has 1,400 hrs.
  6. franzmerenda

Consider that when engines will have 1,000 hours, they should be serviced by some proper technician, better if accomplished by some Cat Shop
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would bring a spare raw water pump for both the gen and the 1 engine. Spare fuel/lift pump for the gen. in addition to what everyone else wrote. Have the 500 hr service done on the engines.

For the boat- spare a/c pump, bilge pump float switches 2 each, spare freshwater pump, spare macerator pump, hoses/clamps, electrical parts and plenty of light bulbs. Watermaker spares........the list goes on and on.
  8. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

Appreciate everyone's input! This is my ninth boat but my first diesel powered. I grew up on lakes in Minnesota so much of this salt water exploring/fishing and diesels is new to me. Have only had the Viking since July last year.

Based on your input Capt J, I won't be going too extreme by bringing the spare parts you mention and more. Also, I will have a list of CAT dealers and Onan dealers with me. However, I know they often don't stock parts and it can take a long time for them to get them. Last year, while in San Carlos Mexico with my Grady White it took almost two months to get a water pump for the Kohler genset.

Last week three buddies, captain and I took UNLEASHED from Ensenada on a 700 nm round trip S to Isla Cedros and Bahia Tortuga. We were early for the big Pacific Yellowtails (30-60#) so it turned out to more of an adventure than a fishing trip. (Our Yellowtails are not like E Coast Yellowtails. They are very strong fighters and also good eating.) I was thrown out of the captain's chair at one point the as seas were very rough especially on the return. Learned a lot.

Are we able to also post photos??

Best!
  9. franzmerenda

Cat shops would be able to service your Genset also, which is a 4 cylinders 1.999 liters Kubota (have same Cats and Genset on my boat).

Fishing pictures are warmly appreciated :D
  10. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

Didn't want the day to end without responding to my Best New Italian Friend, franzmerenda!

As requested, I will post some fish photos once I figure out how to reduce their size and get them posted. Think you'll find the fish we catch in the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez interesting with some being the same as your own catch.

LaSpezia is beautiful and the yachting must be terrific. Have been through the area by car but at that time I wasn't familiar with Cinque Terre and we didn't do any boating.
  11. franzmerenda

We try to do our best and most of the time we catch & release.
    In the past 2 years it almost has been forbidden catching any Tuna here, due to quotas that as usual were all covered by commercial fishing.
    The biggest catches are Red Tunas, rarely exceeding 200 lbs.

We fish drifting by now, since it would be insane trolling with Diesel at 8.6 bucks a gallon, but we still try to have some good time doing what we most love: being on a boat!

I'm lucky to live not far from La Spezia and yes it's quite amazing boating here.

Hope to see your catches soon!

franz

Attached Files:

12. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Unleashed,

do you mean Yellow Fin Tuna?

I don’t think we have yellow tail on the east coast, except for maybe yellow tail snapper down south, and yellow tail flounder

The Yellow tail that I am familiar with in the North East is in sushi restaurants.
    I think the sushi yellow tail is some kind of amberjack.

Sounds like you are taking on an ambitious and exciting trip.
    Good luck.

just wondering:
    Are there any yacht transport options?
    On the east coast it can be cheaper to move the boat on a yacht transport ship from Fla. to the North East.
    I have often wondered how boats in the 40-60 ft range make it from east coast factories to the west coast
  13. UNLEASHED

UNLEASHED New Member

No, not yellow fin tuna. See description below. Will post photos when I learn how to reduce file size and how to post.

The yellowtail we have are great fighters and be caught jigging, trolling, casting and with live bait. When hooked they instinctively head for the rocks. I have never had one jump. Most of our catch is 20-30# with a very occasional one up to 50#.

A key is to bleed them right away. While I'm not a big fish eater, yellowtail are very good eating and also make good sushi.

For yacht transport there is Yacht Path International and Dockwise Yacht Transport. I haven't used them and I hear very mixed reviews about them. When all is said and done it is less expensive to transport a yacht based on the quotes I have seen but I like the adventure of doing it myself on its own bottom. To me that is what it is all about.

HAMACHI (PACIFIC YELLOWTAIL)

Hamachi (Pacific Yellowtail)
    Yellowtail, including Yellowtail Jack (Seriol landei), are related to the tuna family and are recognized by a yellow stripe across their body and their yellow tail. Yellowtail is caught year round, but more commonly during summer in the Pacific Coast and the Sea of Cortez. They are caught primarily with hook and line, and their average weight is 10 to 20 lbs.
    Yellowtail, as it has generally come to be acceped now, refers to a type of sturdy ocean fish in the jack family, or Carangidae. Jacks, including amberjack and pompano, can be strong-tasting, but yellowtail jack tends to be more delicate. In Japanese it’s hamachi, a favorite of the sushi bar. Most hamachi or yellowtail is farm-raised in Japan and imported, usually frozen, in fillet form.
    Yellowtail is a sleek migratory fish similar to the tuna. The Japanese variety called hamachi has light golden flesh and may display a dark streak along the edge of a fillet, a characteristic of the two-toned musculature of fish that cruise the open seas.
    Chefs have taken to pairing it as a sashimi or carpaccio with rosy raw tuna, often yellowfin tuna. Because there is a kind of tuna called yellowfin, some chefs seem to think that hamachi or yellowtail is also a tuna. (It’s not.)
    Hamachi can be as rich as toro, smooth and buttery with a deep smoky tast, but not as overpoweringly fatty. The area around the pectoral fins is considered the tastiest part and is often set-aside for special customers. Some sushi bars grill the skeleton and the bits of meat left on it and serve it as an appetizer or snack.