Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

1st real sportsfisher

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by TWENTY B, Jun 10, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TWENTY B

TWENTY B New Member

G'day guys.
    I've had a few small trailerboats over the years but now i'm looking to get something a bit more serious, something myself and the mrs can weekend aboard, or me and the boys can go offshore and do some serious game fishing on.
    And what better way than aboard a mid 80's bertram flybridge.

I'm hoping to absorb as much info as i can from you experienced owners before making the plunge.

I'd love a detailed brochure of size and weights, comfigurations etc. if anyone can help me out there.
    important info in deciding what to buy as i'll be restricted by size and weight for towing it on the streets without special permits.

I'm an electrician by trade and plan on doing alot of work to it myself but i'll probably get one thats had a recent repower.

anyway, G'day from Sydney and happy Boating.
    Just finishing work at 6am and going fishing.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What's your budget, what size range are you looking at, and what are you looking to do with it?

Honestly, I'd rather have a 36' Hatteras SF over any mid 30's Bertram's from the 80's. The 36' Hatteras is a big boat for it's size, built just as stout, and I think a better seaboat.
  3. TWENTY B

TWENTY B New Member

My pockets aren't very deep so I'm looking for as cheep as possible really.
    But efficient running costs and maintenance are more important than cosmetic appearance, that's something I can work on myself.
    So probably 50k max. The less I spend on buying it, the more I have to customize it. Or put in the fuel tank and enjoy it.

Needs to be on a trailer for me to work on it and store it at home. Inboard motor/out drive leg would be best for me.
    I'm not far from Sydney Harbour or botany bay and we have lots of high quality launch ramps here. Jervis bay only 200kms south and Brisbane ( access to the great barrier reef) 1000kms to the north, All with superb fishing grounds.

Although I'd love the cockpit and cabin space of a 28, especially the flat cockpit floor but it looks like it will be to big for me to use as a trailer boat.
    I think I'm restricted to 25/26 foot max and still be practice.
    This is pretty much what I'm looking at
    Used 1986 BERTRAM 25 FLYBRIDGE Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au
    Used 1985 BERTRAM 25 FLYBRIDGE Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au
    http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8845003

A days fishing would would be no more than 150nm so I range of 3-400nm @ 22kts would be more than sufficient.
    I'm assuming diesel would be cheaper to run than petrol engines. But that would depend on what engine really.

I dream of an 80 footer and endless funds to enjoy it, but in reality that's not going to happen. What I do have is the ability to own a great little sport fishin boat, and the free time to enjoy using it often..
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As one of those boats shows it is in Nth Cairns what are you planning on pulling it with because up there to Sydney is a long haul in anything short of an aircraft.
  5. TWENTY B

TWENTY B New Member

They were just for comparison,
    But I would probably have it trucked back.
    Will be towing it with a cayenne turbo or land cruiser.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A classic 31' Bertram is trailerable due to it's low height. Honestly, I wouldn't want a 25' or 28' Bertram FB if you have one to me and a credit card to put fuel in it. Both of those boats don't stop rocking, even when they're at the dock and on calm water. Due to their deep v and narrow beam, they never and I mean never stop rocking....... I think there are much better choices a Blackfin would be one of them......
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I don't believe any of those boats that you linked to are "real" Bertrams. I think they're built by a company that was licensed to build them down in Australia.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, I forgot the companies name.......was it Carribbean....or Souther Cross or something along those lines.....they bought the old hulls/molds from Bertram......and did a go at them.....
  9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Spot on Shazam.
    They are Carribbean's.
    They have not changed except in cosmetics for decades and are still popular.
  10. TWENTY B

TWENTY B New Member

31 is not an option, to big and to heavy for me to tow.
    Looks like a 28 is the same.

I'm told the 25s are 2450kg dry. So add 400kg in fuel, and your usuall bits n peices.
    Put it on a trailer and I'm sure my 3500kg tow max is in big trouble..
    I might be going down to 23ft.

This is a different refit. Perfect for our conditions down here
    YouTube - Unleash the Beast - Episode 9
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You want an amazing classic boat that's easy to tow....... Go with a 26' Strike center console with cuddy cabin foward, they all had a single diesel. Great ride, range, towability, efficiency......and well built.... A T-top version weighs about 6,000 lbs.......or 2727 KG's
  12. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

Agreed! A very good pocket sportfisherman that I have fished on several times off Gloucester for giants.