Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning

1OK on MTU 8 V 396 TB 93 Is this rebuild time?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Reginald, Feb 14, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reginald

Reginald New Member

Reginald Buckingham III of Bainbridge Island, WA
    1OK on MTU 8 V 396 TB 93 Is this rebuild time? 1985 Vintage
    I found a 100' plus boat and I'm not sure if this is high. Are these commercial engines that run three to four times longer than this?
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Sounds like they're ready for their second round of W-4 scheduled service. Go to MTU's web site and read the "W schedule" for the time frame and proportional depth of the service / rebuilding at the set forth intervals. These motors aren't for the weak of heart or pocketbook to own and operate.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

A lot will depend upon how they have been run and maintained as well as what you intend to use them for.

They are a bit of a dinosaur engine and will not meet any modern emissions requirements. That said MTU would still be able to rebuild them or sell you reman ones if you went down that route but as stated above make sure your heart and finances are in top shape before asking for a price for that scale of work.

Expecting to get 30 or 40k operating hours out of them is a little optimistic given my own 396 experience.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd say 10k hours on 396's is rebuild time. I would wait till a failure and yank those smokey, stinky and expensive to maintain engines out and put modern power.....
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Modern power would add $500,000 minimum plus the cost of new iron to repower due to girder modifications and drive line changes not to mention exhaust and plumbing mods that will be needed to accept new or different model motors. Its always better to either rebuild or have re-manned same model engines especially on a boat that will never be worth the investment going in.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Didn't you just do the numbers for a big repower like this and the Owner got cold feet?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends how extensive it is. If you go with similar or the same HP you can keep shafts, props, struts. I saw Jarret Bay repower a 72' Jim Smith from 16v92's to C32's and it came in at $250k. The MTU's are very costly to rebuild and very costly to maintain and parts are scarce for them. The boat I ran with these engines periodically was that 98' Lloydsship sitting at ACY. His plan is to mothball her for a year or two while he's cruising the med in his larger yacht, then do a complete refit and repower her.
  8. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Yes we did. I'm now a couple of months in on a medium sized repower that has the scenario listed above. Girder mods, drive line etc. etc. Rarely if ever will you be able to repower with a different manufactures engine package and keep your drive line angles from one to another and that's just the tip of the iceberg down the line for ancillary attachment's. $400,000 for the iron and another $500,000 for the modifications and putting the machinery space back together to pass classification IMG_0271.JPG (1).jpeg IMG_0271.JPG (1).jpeg IMG_0474.JPG.jpeg PART_1487036286505_IMG_20170213_141657.jpg survey.
  9. captholli

captholli Senior Member

J,
    I like your "pluck" but I'm sorry to say that two Caterpillar Marine C-32 Acert or any new C-32 motors of any rated output in bobtail configuration will cost more than your stated amount for the "total" repower above. Add another $28,000 for Z.F. 550-A gears or slush boxes of your choice and everybody and their brother would repower in North Carolina especially if Ring Power was giving such deep discounts that would allow the labor costs for removal of existing DD's along with wiring and plumbing to off set costs and then install new power with labor to plumb & wire the new iron. I have a group of clients and naval architects that will beat Jarrett Bay's door down for a deal like you've described above.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe the motors were extra, but the $250k included the removal/replacement and gears and all of the other ancillery stuff.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

So "all in" what would be your estimate for this Jim Smith repower?
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

$500-600k.....It had 16v92's.....so should be able to utilize the same shafts.