Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

1999 Post 50 MTU 8v183 New to Forum - Few questions.

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Seth Fisher, Sep 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Seth Fisher

Seth Fisher Member

Hello, I just landed a 1999 50 Post. She was rebuilt this year, and has fresh paint. I'm dealing with a few issues on the MTU, like low pressure on the Trany and a samll coolant leak on the outboard starboard engine. She tested out and sea trialed well. On the 6 hour ride taking her home, i lost about 1 1/2 gallons of coolant, in the bildge and a little tranny oil. Nothing too worried about. however, the leak for the coolant is in a spot my 240lb 6' frame cant get to. Any thoughts, lose hose clamp?

One small question, is the salon door latch/lock didn't come with a key. Owner claims he never locked the boat, can someone recommend a place to find a new lock assembly?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hose clamps unusually don't just get loose. They can break if neglected and rusted.

Coudl be anything. You re going to fing a way to look up close. When I can't reach something for a close look, taking a picture for video with a phone helps. If you have a go pro you can use that while watching the preview live on a tablet.

Couple of weeks ago while crossing over I got a low coolant warning on one our C32s just as I entered the Marina to clear at Cat cay. Finished docking and checked the ER, had coolant sprayed all over the stbd engine... Turned out to be a pin hole in a small coolant hose to one of the turbos. Some rescue tape, a piece of hose split and a clamp got us going rig away till I was able to get a new hose over. I had to start the engine to find the pin hole... It was invisible without pressure
  3. Seth Fisher

Seth Fisher Member

Thanks Pascal. I didn't think of the go pro. I had a mirror but just couldn't get deep enough to see it. Thanks, you may know the boat if you're from Miami, Chronic Pain...
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No doesn't ring a bell. Miami is a big city
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I know the boat and maintain the Blue hulled 62' Sunseeker predator a few slips past it. I've never been on it, but seems like they did a lot of work to it over the past year or two. It was a good looking boat.

Not sure where your coolant leak is coming from without seeing it. You're going to have to see where it's leaking from. Could be something simple, could be something expensive. I've only run 1 set of 8v183's in my life, we put I think it was 450 hours on them in a year. They had 350 hours when I first met them about 5 years ago, and ran into some EXPENSIVE things to fix with them....one was an exhaust gasket, access was poor, removal of everything was complicated and expensive to fix. I've run lots of 12v183's which is the same motor, just 4 more cylinders. They ran smooth and quiet, but were a little smoky/sooty fuel burn was around 60 gph at 2000 rpms.

If you have the ZF tranny, remove the scraper completely and clean it, if it's equipped with the scraper, and re-install. If it has a tranny filter, replace that, and replace the oil in it. That is where I'd start.
  6. Seth Fisher

Seth Fisher Member

Thx Capt. I only wish there are more folks up north who could work on them. I have a feeling we will need some help. The engines were just rebuilt. I have a receipt. My assumption is they did good work. Owner vouched for them and gave a bunch of contacts. Said he would fly them up north for work. I don't know that I can afford that treatment.

Appreciate the ZF piece. I will have to check that out. I have some manuals. Time to sit and study once the summer isnover.
  7. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

Seth - I have a 2000 '50 and was able to order new door latch parts through Aluminum 2000. They made my salon door for my model year. If you look them up on the website you will find them. The company appears to have been purchased by Pompanette but they still carried components for my door.
  8. Will McAteer

Will McAteer New Member

I'm looking to buy a 2000 50' post with the same power, if you just bought yours I'm sure you saw it on yachtworld in N Palm Beach. What is your cruise speed and fuel burn? Any comments to the ride (wet or pounding)....I've seen some bad reviews about the 43' in a following sea but that is obviously a different boat. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

8v183's burn 60 gph at 1950 for the pair..... 65 gph at 2000. I've only run a 50' Post with 820 mans (would be preferable to me). It cruised at 26.5 knots at 1950 rpms and 60 gph..... Boat rode good, very stable running and very stable on the troll, a little on the wet side.....
  10. Seth Fisher

Seth Fisher Member

I'd agree with Capt J. Though I haven't done the math on the gph, but it's been said to be 55. Too hard given conditions. At 1850 we cruise at 26 and 1950 27. I like the ride, but definitely less stable than a deep V, fasther though.
  11. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

I’m looking at a 50 post with MTU 8v183 with 3000 hrs and it probably needs an updated service and wondered if this do it yourself possible and what it would entail. Also am looking to cruise at 24kts here in Florida waters at good economy with this boat at .5 mpg. any thoughts on this? Thanks
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, updated service is pulling the injectors/nozzles and injector pump and having them checked/rebuilt. It also includes re-adjusting valves, and doing all the coolers. Have a professional do that.

The set I ran, I cruised at 2000 rpms, which is where they seemed to love to run. Burned 55 gph at that speed. So your figures should be entirely possible.
  13. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

I’m also looking at another post 50 with v10 mans with 2000 hrs and 2000hrs service completed. There is some confusion over the HP level wether it’s 820 or 1050. They are getting back to me with copies of invoices for the work that will clear this up. Anyway , any thoughts on this boat/engine configuration vs the other 50 post with 3000hr MTU s at8 cylinders and a bit shorter.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have a customer with a 2001 50' Post with 10 cylinder 820's. The motors have 6,000 original hours on them. He just had the heads redone because they couldn't pull the injectors out of them in place. Motors have never been rebuilt and still run very good. Boat cruises at 27 knots at 1950 rpms. The ideal combination IMO is the 50' with the 820 Man's. He burns 55 gph at that speed. I don't think they built any 50's with 1050 HP mans.
  15. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I have a 2000 '50 Post with the 820 MAN's. Great running boat. I'm in the great lakes and my boat cruises about 27knts at 1850 and burn 55gal/hr. Max speed at 2350 is 34 knts. I have a 13ft AB with a 60HP Yamaha on the bow. I see very little change in performance with it on or off the bow. To Capt J's point above regarding 1050's - I did look at a 1999 '50 about 8 years ago while hunting for mine with 1050's. They claim only a few were built with those engines.
  16. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Seth can you contact me about your luck with those engines. Dan 8608237570
  17. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I think it was one with 1100 Mans is that a 1050? That's when the double air vents on each side first appeared.
  18. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Dan you may get some very interesting calls with that number out there. Send a private message?
  19. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I found the old add. It must have been a 1998 that I looked at... Post w 1050 MANs.JPG
  20. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Have any of you handled the Gelcoat issue on your Post . I’m looking at a 2000 with this problem and wondered what I’m getting into here. The hull has already been painted 9 yrs ago and looks great. The cockpit also was done. Any thoughts?