Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

1999 Cummins 6CTA8.3-MC

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Living Water, Oct 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Living Water

Living Water Guest

I am looking at buying a 1999 boat with the posted Cummins engines. Does anyone have any advice or information concerning these engines?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In the last few years, I have fell in luv with the 8.3s. Mechanical or the later QSCs electronic High Pressure Rail, It's a honey of an engine.
    Shame Cummins is still in bed with the old Sherwood raw water pumps. Lil larger pump vs the 5.9 (QSBs) but still a PIA.

Just started maintaining a boat with the new 6.7s. Pump mounted up high. Finally, they took a hint.

Bottom line, the 8.3 is a great block.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree. They're good motors. What HP are you looking at.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have bought a pair of factory reman C series 8.3 rated at 430 ho which I plan to install in the next few months in my 53 to replace the old Detroits. Did quite a bit of homework before and they seem to be an excellent choice. Cummins factory reman program is a big plus as they come with factory warranties
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think someone did the same conversion on your boat with the same engines 5 years ago or so and the boat cruised at 16 knots or so........ I remember reading about it on the 1510 website a long time ago. It was either cummins or volvo's but I think cummins. I've run several pairs of those at 450 and 480hp they're good motors, they have one inherent issue, there's a 1" or so hose that comes off the turbo that likes to go bad, it's just a rubber hose, and cheap, and when it goes bad you lose most performance.