Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

1995 Carver Santego SE side windows

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by syZERO, Nov 18, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. syZERO

syZERO New Member

Ahoy,
    Does anybody know how to service the sliding windows on the side of the boat. The felt runners need to be replaced and the whole window needs new sealant.

-How can I take out the window? (Only the glas or the whole frame)
    -Does anybody know how it's constructed?
    -Where can I get parts like felt runners, hinges, glass etc..?

Any pictures available from a dismounted window?
    Thanks a lot
    Aloha

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  2. IrishWakeIII

IrishWakeIII New Member

Ahoy there syZERO - Did you move forward with this project? I am looking for the same type of information to redo my 1989 Carver Santego windows.
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Either the window comes out from the outside or inside .
    I would say yours comes out from the outside. Remove all those screws around the window frame and pry/pull it off gently with various width putty knives. Once off you should see the entire windows/frame and go from there. I would not recommend removing them completely, if you break them during removal you are in trouble as I'm sure you can not get replacements . Just rake out the old sealant and clean the seam the best you can. Reseal the seam. Clean up the outer frame you removed and re-bed with your favorite sealant (5200, sika flex 295uv,butyl tape) or whatever. Make sure you get some sealant on/in the screws and holes. Put the screws back in by hand so you can get a feel for them don't over tighten and strip it, versus a screw gun which can easily strip out the fiberglass screw hole giving the screw nothing to hold to.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6. IrishWakeIII

IrishWakeIII New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! My main issue is the windows are extremely hard to open/close. I'm considering starting with a power wash of the fuzzy inserts and a Teflon spay along the bottom where the windows are supposed to slide. Not feeling too confident that's going to do much. Have you had this issue with your windows sliding? I do have a few small leaks on the starboard side sliders, so your advice makes sense for that issue. Any thoughts on getting a better slide/glide?
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If the felt is still on the grooves cleaning it may help a lot. If you want to replace the felt there a link in the thread I mentioned. Otherwise just put some petroleum jelly in the groove and move the window back and forth to spread it. Everything slides better with lubrication.
  8. IrishWakeIII

IrishWakeIII New Member

Perfect. Great advice. Thanks!