Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

1992 Post 50

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Reel Antsy, Apr 9, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Good Morning Everyone.

This is my first post on this forum.

We are currently looking at the above model vessel and am hoping some of you can shed some light and answer some questions I have. We currently have a 1985 Trojan Sedan and are looking to move up to accommodate kids and grand kids. Mostly boating on the Chesapeake Bay.

The vessel currently shows 1200 hours on 8V92TAs. This boat was reported to have been cruised easy and to have never been fished. It shows as a clean vessel. Of course along with a survey, we will have a diesel technician inspect the engines. But from experience and knowledge can anyone shed some light on their reliability and when they typically need major servicing or overhauling?

I am also interested in any flaws or things to look out for on this vessel. I am open to any and all opinions of this year and model vessel. Do the 50s this era also have a minimal dead rise at the transom and have following sea issues? The info I have, states this boat should cruise at 24kts @ 2100prm with a 27kt top end I believe. Any real world experience with those numbers?

Lastly, if anyone has a recommendation for a diesel engine inspector and yacht surveyor in the Chesapeake Bay area, that would be great. I am sure I'll have more questions and appreciate your time and offerings.

Thanks,

Jamie
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Stay tuned, someone with knowledge on your year will call in.
    My thoughts concern the 1200 reputed hours - I'm a 98 and we are little over 2000? What does the genny show?
  3. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you for your reply. I don't know the answer on the generator hours. However, I do believe the hours to be correct and the engine hour meters reflects just under 1200. The owner passed away some time ago and throughout his ownership, the boat was hardly used and sat more than it was run. There are no service records available at this time.

From the listing: This boat has not been operated for 7 years. "Boat was commissioned 11/2017 and engines and generator operated and inspected. Engine service required fresh fuel filters, a few injectors, one turbo but otherwise ran well. Air box inspection revealed no cylinder scoring and acceptable cross hatch."

What holds for the other engine? The lack of use and maintenance could be expensive for the next owner. Me or anyone else.

I would just like some input from owners of this model engine and real world experience and life expectancy from which they have had, before I consider this possible purchase.

Thank you.

Jamie
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

You might also what to search past threads. I bet you will find a lot on those engines

Good luck with your adventure - 50s are a great boat!
  5. Treads

Treads New Member

Hi Jamie,

This is also my first post to this forum as well. I have been on the hunt for our next boat as well and have looked at several 50' Posts, and specifically the one in Solomon's. We looked at her last September, right after she came on the market. With that said, the boat had not had any effort put forth to preparing it for viewing, in my opinion. Was a challenge to obtain any solid information from the listing broker, many one word replies to questions, if you did not ask the right question in the right manner, the response was not helpful. Broker could not say when the last time the mains were run, batteries all dead, could not turn anything on, and so on. I did notice in the listing that new information was provided on commissioning the mains and gen, and worked on the turbos. I would hope that there was also a major effort to clean and prepare the boat for a proper showing for you.

The reason we were given for the low hours was due to owners health last several years, only came down to boat to sit on her at the dock, never left the slip. As you mention, the mains and gen had not run for 7 years, was towed to slip for the season and towed back to travel lift for hauling. Unfortunately, the owner passed and spouse finally decided to list her.

I could elaborate further but do not want to discourage you and your efforts. If you would like to discuss in more detail, I would be happy to based upon your interest.

Good luck with your search.
  6. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

I would indeed like to follow up with you on that boat. Not sure best method...don't see an email option to contact you.
    Thank you.

Jamie
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Re Read the service agreement.
    Use PM or Private Mail within this site.
    No web hackers or trackers involved. Truly private.

Click on the icon of the person you want to talk to and start a private conversation.
  8. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you Capt Ralph.
  9. Quality Time

Quality Time Member

The boat has been at Spring Cover for as long as I can remember. We never saw it leave the slip and there was much less activity on it over the last few years. It was on the hard when we were there last July.
  10. sigarn

sigarn Member

I have owned 2 posts, a 46 and now have a 2007 53'. Post built a very solid production boat, and if the boat you are looking at has been maintained, I know you will be happy with it. They have good bones, for sure.

I would suggest going on boatdiesel.com. You have to register and pay a small fee, but its well worth it. There is a huge amount of info about diesel boat engines. You will find a specific section for Detroits which built great engines. You also should be able to find a good Detroit surveyor.

I always recommend finding someone that specializes in the brand engines you are looking at. Not all engines are the same, and each have their own quirks. 1200hrs on a 1992 boat is not many hours and lack of use creates its own problems, so find someone that really knows what they are doing to do the survey.

Good luck and I hope it works out.
  11. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thanks, I have been a member of Boat Diesel for a few years now. I have searched and read there too. Always nice to hear from vessel owners just as well on their first hand experience.
    This particular vessel has no available service history, other than some recommissioning which was done in November of '17. I am moving past this vessel as a prospect...I am not willing to gamble on something like this. It's a shame because it could really be a gem for the right price.

I would like to thank you all who replied and offered their advice and help!

Jamie
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just pay accordingly for the vessel. Factor/deduct the cost of 1 major overhaul into the purchase price. I am dealing with a larger yacht that has sat the last couple of years. Well maintained, but owner died and vessel didn't really move but once or twice a year the past 2 years at slow speeds. The owner bought it with a 18% load differencial between the 2 engines at normal cruising rpms. 12 cylinder CATs. After going through everything, then borescoping it, the 1 turbo turbine was damaged from something coming out of the motor. The engine dropped an intake valve seat or at least part of it, cylinder looks ok, but $20k later here we are.