Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

1992 Ocean 53 SS

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Rob Wardlow, Aug 1, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rob Wardlow

Rob Wardlow New Member

I am reaching out to the Ocean experts here at YF for some information. I sea trialed the boat yesterday and like it a lot. It has the 8V92’s. Port engine ran great but about 60 rpm under its max, but the port engine about 200 short of what it should run. Surveyor thought the boat was probably just over propped. The biggest problem to me is the top speed was only 28 MPH and it never really seemed to want to get up and run like it should have. Both the boat surveyor and the engine surveyor were a little puzzled and didn’t really have a good answer for that. The boat surveyor had also surveyed the boat in 2009 and it ran exactly the same even the rpm on both engines was off. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks
  2. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I had a problem last year with one of my 8v92s where a pushrod was broken and dropped my top rpm down 200. We replaced the broken pushrod and timed the injectors and it was back to full power.
  3. Rob Wardlow

Rob Wardlow New Member

The surveyor scoped the cylinders and still waiting on oil analysis but there was no indication of any mechanical issues.
  4. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Well if you don't like the speed, probably time to move on. If no specific issue is identified you could be spending lots of money for little improvement.
  5. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

How tired are the motors?
  6. Rob Wardlow

Rob Wardlow New Member

It’s not that I don’t like the speed as I am not looking for a speed boat. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. The motors were rebuilt 300 hours ago.
  7. Rob Wardlow

Rob Wardlow New Member

Just to add a little more information from the survey, the boat ran:
    1100 rpm's 11mph
    1500 rpm's 17.9mph
    1700 rpm's 20.9mph
    1850 rpm's 22.7mph
    1950 rpm's 23.4mph
    max speed at 2200 rpm's was 28.8mph

Props maybe or boat just heavy? Thanks for the responses!
  8. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

those speeds sound a little on the low side for that boat. you should be seeing those numbers posted, but in Knots. were you able to confirm that the bottom and the props were clean. A dirty bottom and worse yet, dirty props will make you lose 4 plus mph very easily
  9. Rob Wardlow

Rob Wardlow New Member

Yes bottom was clean on haul out. Port prop had a small edge on one of the blades, prop shafts need a slight alignment, but nothing that was way out. Surveyor suggested going down a pitch in the prop to get the rpm's up to max, but that is not going to help the speed. Like I said she just seemed to run heavy and nobody could really put a finger on it.