Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Furuno

1989 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin Head won't flush

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by makingsawdust, Jul 5, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. makingsawdust

makingsawdust New Member

Hi all,

We just took ownership of a 1989 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin. Our first boat of this size. She is in great shape and looks to be well maintained except for the aft head.

The electric Raritan doesn't want to flush. When you push the button the pump cycles, "water" is moving in and out at the bottom of the bowl, but water doesn't come from around the top to fill/flush the bowl.

I read through the owners manual, no help there. Is there a switch or a valve or a pump that I am missing?

Someone help the newbie.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a sea water head right? Is the sea water valve open?
  3. makingsawdust

makingsawdust New Member

I believe it is a salt water flusher. So there is a big valve marked Open and Close. I tried the head in both positions. I must have the sequence wrong.

What should I try as a normal sequence?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My guess would be that the diaphram or a seal has gone bad, but you won't know for sure until you pull it apart.
  5. makingsawdust

makingsawdust New Member

Thanks for your help. I'll have it checked.
  6. moncherie

moncherie New Member

Another newbie

I had the same problem. Try this: after you hook up to dock water, turn on the water pump on electrical control panel. You should hear it pressurize, which should then pull water in when you try to flush. You can turn the pump back off and the toilet should work fine.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The OP says he thinks it is a Salt Water flusher so unless Dock water is pressurizing the Salt Water system I doubt hooking it up will change his problem much.
  8. eddie_homer

eddie_homer New Member

Problem with toilet

I had the same problem. It was the sea water intake strainers for the toilet clogged with marine growth. You have to go under the boat with a stiff wire brush and clean it. After cleaning it worked like new.
  9. talexander38

talexander38 Member

sounds to me you need to replace the pump impeller . it's on the aft end of the motor it's part # ch13..a part break down can be found at their web site
  10. subsailor637

subsailor637 New Member

Aft Head problem

You may still have the water intake valve shut. On my 1990 AC the intake valve can only be reached by taking out the lower drawer of the built in cabinet, starboard side of cabin, between berth and head. You have to reach way in to find the actual valve. if you are just turning the valve on the actual head, but don't have the seacock open you'll never get any flush water. Once you do have the intake valve open you may also need to prime the electric pump as you could have an air lock from pumping without water. Lastly, I keep my intake valve closed, and the head valve to dry flush. I keep a gallon of water next to the head to use when wet flushing is necessary. I find this keeps the head smelling better as I am not bringing in biologicals into the bowl or tank. Just my opinion.
  11. hiker2

hiker2 New Member

No water coming into head

I have a 1986 3607. Had same problem. There is a back flow check valve on the side of the head where the water intake hose is connected. Remove the hose and with a screwdriver of something similar push it in the hole of the intake just a short distance and it will unstick the check valve. This worked for me, even though every once in a while I will have to redo it all over again, it is a lot easier than taking it apart and replacing it. If you don't have it fixed yet, hope this works.
  12. Don Trainer

Don Trainer New Member

I had the exact same problem and what I found out was that a ball check valve was stuck on the bottom left side of the head. You can take off the water line coming to it and push on it to release the rubber ball. That will work for a while until you can replace the check valve.