Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Westport

1989 Carver 3207 Port engine not starting from bridge or salon

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Chief Shack, Aug 3, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Chief Shack

Chief Shack New Member

Hello All,
    My port engine 5.7 Gas Mercuiser (#OC624293) will only start if I jump across to positive pole and the 12v on the back of the starter. I have twin 5.7 Gas Mercuisers I cannot turn the key and start the port engine at either station. The starboard engine works great from either station. I have replaced the starter/solenoid, and the neutral switch on the bridge it work briefly and now I have nothing. Initially it almost sounded like a weak battery clicking, now I have no sound at all. Is there a common junction where the two stations come together to feed the starting 12v to the solenoid? Lastly does anyone know where I can find the electrical diagram for the 1989 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin with 5.7 Mercs or a troubleshooting logic chart?

Thank you for your help.
    Chief Shack USN Ret
    Mod edit: email removed
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2020
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like you've got a bad battery or bad cable, a tripped breaker or a battery switch not turned on or bad. You should be able to get manuals direct from Carver.
  3. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Good thought on a common point of failure. I don't know Carver's at all, but my first thought is that there's a relay in the circuit that provides power from another source. Starter solenoids actually require a significant amount of power, as they're basically a large electromagnet. A relay would provide power from another source. Finding that wiring diagram will help a lot. Have you tried to contact them HERE?
  4. Chief Shack

Chief Shack New Member

Thank you d-meister I will backtrack the wiring to the panel. And I will give the link a try.
    Have a Safe Day,
    Chief Shack
  5. Chief Shack

Chief Shack New Member

Thank you NYCAP123,
    I will certainly take a deep dive on the 2 battery selector switch, to date I have not looked there.
    Have a Safe Day,
    Chief Shack
  6. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I feel you can jump across the the solonoid and start it , you don't have a battery problem?
  7. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Good point!
  8. Chief Shack

Chief Shack New Member

Spot on @boatpoor NO battery issues, both engines have new and functioning alternators. I have a 120Vac marine 3 battery charging/maintenance system. All batteries (1 starting, 1 house 1 for genset) are all new.

My next test is kill the 12v system then test for continuity from the switch to the back of the starter when turning the key to the start (monetary) position. I am thinking that would let me know if its the house system wiring or Starter cabling/switches/breakers, etc. The Perko 2 battery switch is suspect too, I will be checking on it as well.

Thank you,
    Have a Safe Day
    Chiefshack

9. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I would start at the solonoid with a meter and work backward toward the start switch with the switch in the start position.You'll need a helper and when you find power on that wire you'll find your problem. Could be the solonoid, switch or wiring in between.
  10. RER

RER Senior Member

What you are describing is often a neutral lockout/safety switch problem.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If it Cranks fine bypassing everything then it s not a battery issue. And it s not a issue with the battery switch either.

have you checked to make sure you have power at the key switches at the helm? Then when turning the key to the start position check for power on the terminal of the key switch that sends power to the solenoid. I haven’t had to deal with a gaser in 20 years but the Wire colors are supposed to be standard so any generic diagram should tell you which wire to check at the back of the key switch. It seems to be me the problem is at the feed to the switches.