Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Furuno

1989/90 45C vs 1987-89 48C

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by JB1150, Feb 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

Hello All,

I've read every post that I can find on these two vikings and thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences and knowledge. I have found it very enlightening.

There is a lot more written about the 45C than there is the 48C. Keeping in mind that I am buying the boat for pleasure cruising New England waters (with the eventual hopes of running it south for winter) and not a canyon runner. Where I don't need to maximize speed to get the fishing grounds quickly is the 45 with 671TIB or 6v92 sufficient power? I would really appreciate your opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of each.
  2. phatdaddy

phatdaddy New Member

JB, I am looking at a 48' viking, 1988, just learning about the boat. Have you learned anything that might be beneficial? I have a friend buying a 45' 1990 viking but I dont know anything about the boat. thanks, PD
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Here is something interesting from David Pascoe:

The 6-71, 6V92 and 8V92 perform well at reasonable horsepowers. For overall longevity, I'd opt for the 6-71 in any boat where the power range is applicable. Reliability is without parallel. In the hot rod class, I'll take the 6V92 at less than 550 hp while being prepared to follow the maintenance guide religiously. This is a spectacular little power plant for those that like to push the 30 knot envelope in a mid size boat.

The article I extracted it from is found here:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/comparing_diesel_types.htm
  4. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

Hi PD,

I spoke with a Tiara dealer at the Boston boat show who had previously owned a 1989 45' Viking. He loved the boat; had it for four years; felt it was economical to run burning around 25 gallons at 19 knots and handled New England waters very well. He was a cruiser and not a sport fisherman so canyon runs were not a priority. He further advised that the previous owner he bought the boat from moved into a 48 viking of similar vintage and after some use commented that the 45 handled the water better than the 48. (I've read this same comment in several other threads.) The power plant in his 45 was the 6-71TIB - 485 horsepower. He like the motor but advised that he never pusher them hard as his preference was to cruise at 19knots Hope this helps.

K1W1, thanks for the post. I read many of your posts with great interest as my next boat will be my first experiences with diesel motors. My previous 24 years of boat ownership have been with gas motors. 14 years with a 1981 Sea Ray 260 and now my 10th year with a 1988 Sea Ray 340.
  5. Mark I

Mark I Member

I have a 38 with 6-71TI and my friend has a 41 with 6-71TIB.

I can only say that they are durable and reliable with economy that is not that far off more modern diesels.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 48 is essentially a stretched 41' and you gain a stateroom and more room. I've never rode on one, but heard they're a little wet and usually are equipped with 8v92's.