Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mulder

1988 Ocean 53 MY

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Adam Lovinger, Jul 15, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Adam Lovinger

Adam Lovinger New Member

Going to look at the Ocean mentioned in the above title. Interested in speaking with someone with experience with an Ocean MY and the DD 8v92 motors.

Major questions are build quality of the boat and fuel burn at cocktail speed vs cruise.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I have a 44 Ocean SS with 6-71. My opinion, based on my experience with a 38, 40 and 44 is that Oceans are good quality boats, at least average build quality or above average. The Detroit is a good engine but finding parts is becoming a little problematic. Fuel economy at 8 kts should be close to 1 nmpg, mine gets 1.3 and even better if I go 6.5 kts. The more important question is how has the boat been maintained, if it has been well maintained then I would not hesitate to buy her. This includes the condition of the engines and transmissions. In addition to the hull survey get a good Detroit mechanic do an engine survey. Does it achieve rated wot, maintain rated engine temp and does not leak oil unreasonably. Additionally one weakness of an Ocean is leaks around the salon windows and leaks around the rub rails in the bow area. Also check for soft spots in the foredeck.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  3. Adam Lovinger

Adam Lovinger New Member

Capt Fred

Thank you for the response. I will report back once I look at her tomorrow.