Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Cross

1984 46.6 Need to remove GlenDinning

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by scottnc27603, Aug 6, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. scottnc27603

scottnc27603 New Member

I have a problem with the port engine and I'm convinced that the engine synchronizer is the problem. We've asked around and we can get the synchronizer removed but it's going to take a few weeks if even that. Does anyone have any information on how to remove the system?
    TIA, Scott
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You need to take the cable that's going from the port throttle to the glenndenning and go straight to the engine with it (may require a new longer cable or shorter). You then need to remove the cable going from the starboard engine from the glenndenning.

WHAT problem are you having and why do you feel it's the glenndenning?

I think you really need a professional to fix it.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have one in my Bertram. Damm near bomb proof. How did you come to a Glendinning device issue?
    Have you called the mfg yet? Great kids to work with.
  5. scottnc27603

scottnc27603 New Member

Still battling the issue, and now it seems there are several problems on the port side. I have the 8V92ti motors in my 1984 46.6 Bertram, and I'm having a lot of trouble with water in the port racor. I've polished the fuel a month ago or so, and got 15 gallons of water out of the aft tank. I thought we had the problem fixed but I'm still getting a lot of water in the racor. I'm starting to think that maybe there's a fuel cooler on the boat with a leak? The fuel tank is fiberglass and I don't see that fuel is leaking out. Anyone have any suggestions? or thoughts?

The Glendinning is possibly going into limp mode. Works well going out, but once everything warms up the port engine will only go up to 1000 rpms. The water is now the main problem though.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Bad cap or fill neck.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Look for a split in the top of the tank or a bad gasket. Fuel cooler will generally push fuel out into the water, BUT it's easy enough to pressure check.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unlikely there's a problem with the tank. Given the amount of water he claims the source is bound to be rain and washing, which puts the problem on deck. Given the age of the boat the most likely weak link is worn threads in the cap or the connection with the fill neck.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Could be as simple as the o-ring on the deck fill caps. Check the easy stuff first!
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep, KISS, although it still needs a path inside the neck.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The old 46.6 Bertrams had the toe stubbing deck fills where the cap was 3/4" above the deck level, I'm almost positive. And was a cap like on a 2 liter........so usually didn't matter if the O-rings were bad on them. I dealt with a 54' Bertram from that era and cockpit tank had a split in the top of the tank and same issue.
  12. scottnc27603

scottnc27603 New Member

Yea, the fill cap is raised and on the starboard side of the boat, not the deck. I don't see how that would allow water in even if the o ring was bad. Everyone locally is guessing the fuel cooler is the issue. The other idea is that the fuel vent is allowing water in, and I checked the aft fuel vent is facing slightly up and forward which seems wrong to me. I just don't think the fuel vent would allow in that amount of water. Thanks for everyones input and thoughts, Scott
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The fuel vent absolutely can, if you’re sucking 60 gallons an our of fuel out of the tank, you’re also sucking the same amount of air in through that vent.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

+1 in theory however I have doubts about the vent allowing that amount of water in from running. This sounds like rain or washdown water which brings be back to the fuel cap and/or fill neck as the vent won't have changed or been messed with since new so the problem should have existed since new. The fill cap and fuel neck could be worn each time the boat was fueled. You probably won't like this but maybe taste the water in the racor to see if it's fresh or salt (as an alternative put the water in a pan and let it dry to see if salt is left behind).
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  15. alvareza

alvareza Member

You can use a saltwater pool or saltwater fishtank test strip to check the salinity of the water. These are also useful for other boat leaks and checking aftercooler drains for salt indicating a leaking core.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds better for the taste buds.:)