Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

1981 43' aft cabin any problems to report ?

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Bob B, Feb 9, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bob B

Bob B New Member

I am just about to close the deal on a 81 43" aft cabin after the sea trial & compression test I will close the deal. It is gas powered and I expect it to be slow but I do not have far to go. Does anybody know of any inhurent trouble spots I should check out before I close the deal. The survey is from the current owner and not very detailed, the bottom is in great shape. I know some of the older 35' had a problem with the bulkhead under the sliding door rotting out anything on this model I should look for?
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I would strongly suggest that you hire your own surveyor. Do not buy any boat without a thorough, out of the water pre-purchase survey inspection.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

no survey? you are a brave man!

a seller provided survey is absolutely useless, get your own; chances are your insurer will require one anyway...
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Buying a boat without a proper survey?
    You must hate money.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with everyone else, hire your own surveyor and do an out of the water survey.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Well I hired my own survey when I bought my 87 Vkg 44 (10 years ago) and guess what he found? Half the transom was rotted out` Needless to say the seller paid for the repairs and I almost kisssed the surveyor`

a good surveyor will find your issues
  7. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Remember the survey report was done for the previous owner. You should definately hire a surveyor that works for YOU. The surveyor should work for you not the seller. Make sure to ask for refrences as well as samples of previous surveys. Good Luck with the purchase
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Bob, I have a local surveyor that I've used several time. PM me if you'd like his #. You really need to have your own done.
  9. Mark I

Mark I Member

I agree.

IMO you need a surveyor and if he does not have one, a mechanic to survey and evaluate the engines. That is alot of boat to push around with gassers.
  10. Bob B

Bob B New Member

Survey

I do have a surveyer lined up, to inspect the baot and engines before I close on the deal. I was just looking fopr some info while I'm kicking the tires.
  11. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Bob,
    One quick and easy place to start while kicking tires is the Coast Guard Vessel Recall Database. http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/search.aspx It will tell you any important information from the builder as far as safety info and recalls. After that I would pick 5 online yacht brokerages and compare similar boats of her size, year, and manufacturer and compare the prices to see if you are in the ballpark. There are lots of different things to check on the boat itself but thats what the surveyor is for. Good Luck! I hope this helps.
  12. BMS

BMS Senior Member

By the way who is the builder? Hatteras, Silverton, Carver?
  13. Bob B

Bob B New Member

43 viking aft cabin

Viking