Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

1980's Bertram 46.6 vs. mid 1990's 46'

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by SplashFl, May 20, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Not getting any younger, a 46 (ish) has been on my bucket list so just parted with my 38 and on the hunt. Many 46.6's on the market but where are those mid 90's 46's ? Anyone with any experience in both ?? Not interested in under 25 knot cruise.
  2. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

There is a 46 in St Petersburg Florida that I looked at probably 8 years ago. I had a 38 Bertram and loved that boat. The 46 in St Pete has a full tower and the original Detroit's. She's a little rough, but has good bones and you could probably get her for short money. Was out of the water about a year ago for a bottom job.
  3. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Thanks for the info. I currently have a 1996 with full tower and Man's 820 hp under contract awaiting engine survey results after yesterday Sea Trial. Only one that's been listed in St. Pete I found was on YachtWorld; older model 46.6 with no tower and appeared to be "converted" to a non fish boat as if the owners had wrong vessel for their use. Would love to see it if you know where may be listed ?
  4. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

The vessel is named Joint Adventure. Contact Carl at Elite Marine 727-289-7019. He runs the boat yard that services the boat and knows the owner.
    46 Bert Joint Adventure 1.jpg
  5. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Ok thanks, however appearance, Hull ID, and Coast Guard Documentation shows her as 1983 model which is the 46.6 hull as have been almost every one I've run across in the past year as after the model change only about a dozen 46's were built and Bertram was sold to Ferretti who changed the 46' to a 45' which I had no interest in. I've got a "rare bird" under contract and odds are will close on the purchase. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      773.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Capt Maritime

Capt Maritime Member

I never got to look at the Bertram/Ferretti set up, however I always liked the lines. Quick question, how do you get the HID and USCG Doc info off the vessels Name/home port/make?

Are the MAN's the original engines? All the Bertram 46's that I looked at had Detroit's as original. If I ended up with a 46 Bert I was planning to repower to Cummins QSM-11's. That heavy deep v hull needs the horsepower.

Good luck on the purchase. She looks real nice. Is it down in the Keys?
  7. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

It's been my understanding that Ferretti built them with cored hulls where pre Ferretti's had solid glass bottoms and cored sides but information seems to vary so who knows. All of the 46.6's and the later 46 Bertram's had the mid ship stateroom but when Ferretti came out instead with the 45's, the master stateroom was moved up to the bow; same as Viking had done and not to my liking. The original 46.6's are 16 ft. beam; changed to 15 ft in the mid 90's model 46 and so faster hull and with larger chines more stable and they claim drier then the tippy 46.6's although I've not yet been offshore in the newer model but could feel a more stable difference just in the bay.
    Here's link to the site for information you asked about. https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/foss/f?p=215:4:7420050352635::NO:::
    Obviously you can search by Document number, Hull ID number, or vessel name and the site does tend to lag at times. They no longer provide owners information but you can always order an Abstract for 25 bucks from Coast Guard and get that in about 4 days as I had done with several of the 46's so I could get first hand reviews on them.
    The one I have under contract was not the one in Key Largo but she too was sold and actually saw her in a Miami yard Friday; took a photo and sent to the old owner.
    Almost forgot; the 820 hp V10 Man's in "mine" were original and yes all but one of the others I ran into over the past 2 years of hunting had 892, 735 hp Detroits. One had been repowered with C-12 730 hp Cats who's current owner now in Conn. but in our chat I never asked performance numbers. Their heavy deep V hulls and need hp to perform but I've never run into a better rough water boat and that's what I always want under me when caught out there in the crap as had been the case several times from the Keys to NJ to the Bahamas during my years with the sold 38.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022