Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Abeking

1976 35' Viking fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by jetawave, Jun 18, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jetawave

jetawave New Member

Hi I have a 1976 35' Viking. The rear fuel tank started to leak this past weekend. Has anyone have experience in repairing or replacing the rear tank on one of these boats. I am not even sure what these tanks are made of. They sound like metal but look like fiberglass. If anyone has any information for me it would greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, GD
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

you have two tanks in that vintage 35 Viking.

one forward of the main engines under the salon and the rear tank under the cockpit.

both are 135 gallons

The good news, they are not fiberglass.
    However you do have two fiberglass water tanks that are barrel shaped.

the fuel tanks are aluminum, some have an OEM coating on the bottom 1/3.

The tanks sit on a layer of closed cell foam on a 3/4 in plywood deck glassed between the stringers.

Unfortunately the rear tank is subject to bilge splashing and some deck water from the rear lazerette.

Unfortunately, the deck will have to be cut up inorder to remove and replace the tank.

you could either re-do the deck when done or use a skill saw and cut from the rear hatch to the cabin. cut along the space between the simulated wood slats, it will be easier to blend in the cut and refinish the deck when done.

When you do replace the tank, i would not re install the foam, it retains the moisture. I would recommend placing the tank on some PVC slats or some type of spacers to allow air flow under the tank. The tank will get wet from bilge water, you will want it to to dry instead of staying wet.

BTW, Viking tanks seem to last a long time, it is unusual for them to leak. Although i have seen at least one other 35 rear tank replacement, also on a 1975.

Also, when you do replace the tank, re-do all your fuel lines. that is money weill spent.

good luck
    RT46
  3. jetawave

jetawave New Member

1976 Viking fuel tanks

Thanks RT46
    I really appreciate your response. You have given me lot of great information.
    I feel so lucky to be only the second Viking leaky fuel tank you have come across HA,HA,
    The barrel shaped water tank that you talk about must have ben changed in this boat before I purchased it. Now there are two squire plastic tanks. The coating that you talk about must be what I see on the outside of these tanks, all though
    it seams that this coating goes all the way to the top of the tank. Are you saying that I should cut all the way to the rear hatch or should I leave some deck between the hatch and the hole that I cut?. What do you think about after the tank is replaced, bolting the piece back down and caulking it and make it a removable hatch if need be. Or do you think that it needs to be fiberglassed back in for strength. Do you think that I could leave this project for the fall and run the boat off the front tank for shorter trips. If so should I fill the back tank with water of leave it empty. Another important question for me is SHOULD I BE WORIED ABOUT TH FRONT TANK???
    Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry that I have so many question for you. I appreciate all of your help.

Jetawave
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i would determine if the leak is the tank for sure before i started cutting the deck.

Also, although it sounds like a great idea, i wouldnot run the boat until the leaking tank is removed and replaced. Gasoline vapors in the right amount can be extremely dangerous and deadly.

Dont be tempted to have the tank welded or repaired. Get a new tank from a marine gas tank fabricator. It wont be cheap. but it is the only way to go for a gas tank.

I would cut back to the rear hatch then re-glass it. Hopefully you wont need the to get at the tank for another 30 years.

Remove the generator, it will make the job easier, that is not difficult on that boat. four bolts, fuel lines, wires, and a straight lift out the rear hatch. That might take an hour or so.

I would drain the rear tank of the remaining fuel. Hopefully you can pump it right into the front tank if it isnt full. Make sure you use an proper gasoline pump and that the boat is properly vented.

I bet you could get the tank out of the boat in an afternoon. Get a new tank made in a few days (depending on the fabricator) and re-install the next day.
    maybe another 1/2 to 1 day to do the rough glass work and follow up the the finish work.

FYI, there was a recent marina fire with two serious injuries in Freeport, NY when to marina workers tried to cut out a gas tank out of a express cruiser. I guess you could google it, that was some fire.

I would estimate 8 to 16 hours of labor on the job, depending on the might-as-wells.

Work safely, work smart.

safety and ventilation is your friend, fuel vapors and explosions are not your friends.
  5. Viking76

Viking76 New Member

If possible, I would bring the boat to Viking in New Gretna, NJ for them to accomplish this effort. From my experience, they will do the job the right way and the costs will be similar or less than other other shops.
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Viking Customer service is one of the best in the business.

Weather you own one of their new 70+ plus Enclosed bridge S/Fs, their entry level one-point-something-million dollar 40' express models, or a 30 year old vintage convertible; Viking's customer service is top notch and they will talk with you and deal with you the same weather you are the first owner or owner number 5.

you can call customer service and they will find the guy who has been working there since the 1970's or 1980's who knows your boat.

They are very impressive.
  7. jetawave

jetawave New Member

Viking Costumer service

I called Viking costumer service about 11 years ago to find the circuit breakers that fit the original panel. They told me that they did not use those breakers anymore but he would look into it for me. He called me back the next day and told me the # for the distributor right here in CT. Vary Vary Helpful. If any one need to replace their circuit breakers for this boat let me know. I tried costumer service this time also throe e-mail and the response I received was useless. They responded with, they might be aluminum and they might fiberglassed in to the boat and that they did not cary those tanks for my boat. I received way more and better information from RT46. Also thanks RT46 for all of your help.
  8. Viking76

Viking76 New Member

Jetwave,

One would not expect Viking to have a fuel tank in stock for your boat. The response that you indicate is not typical of Viking. If you give them your HIN they can be very specific. In any case, they would have to fabricate a tank for your boat uin order to accomplish the replacement. Their work is excellent, upon completion it would be as good as or better than when brought in for the work. They stand behind their high quality work.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Generally to have an Aluminum fuel tank fabricated for that size is around $7-8 per gallon for the tank. I agree that Viking is an excellent place to have it changed. You may also really consider replacing the other tank at the same time....... A welding shop that makes tanks should be able to fabricate a new tank in days.
  10. Ccbroadloom

Ccbroadloom New Member

We boat from loingisland south shore N.Y.
    Check the sender on the top of your tank it happen to mine when I filled the tank the gasket went bad and the gas leak out and found gas under my tank and Thea was the problem
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

"The good news, they are not fiberglass. However you do have two fiberglass water tanks that are barrel shaped."

Personally in a diesel boat, I ll take fiberglass tanks over Alum without hesitation! They will last as long as the boat... On a gas boat, which may be the case here then yes because of ethanol fiberglass may have issues depending on the resin used