Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

1973 Viking 33 or something else??

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by redcoat3340, Aug 12, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. redcoat3340

redcoat3340 New Member

In the next few days I'm going to look at a Viking 33 (1973) with T-351 V-8's (new blocks in '99) that is supposed to be loaded. In the pictures it looks clean. Anyone have any experiece, knowledge, prior or current ownership, rumors, innuendos, fables, etc. about this boat. I'm a bit suprised at the asking price, $12,900. Seems low for such a nice looking, albeit old, boat.

I've read about Viking in general. This was their first fiberglass boat...their early 35's don't seem to rate as well as the later ones, but that doesn't really mean anything as far as the 33 is concerned. Anyone have any scuttlebutt on this one. What should I be looking for. (I've always been a rag sailor, this would be my first foray into power. I was looking for something for fishing, taking another couple for a day trip, and perhaps a low-key overnight with my wife. I don't need a floating gin palace, just a good basic boat around 25 feet. I sort of tripped over this one. It's bigger than I was looking at, but it's in the price range.)

Thanks in advance.

tom.
  2. glennricci

glennricci New Member

Wanted to go faster, thinking about putting 8.1 , me and my wife (fishing partner) looked around to see what was around instead of adding more money into 1973 boat which we used well.This is a great seaworthy boat, was out in ocean almost every weekend.
  3. Viking76

Viking76 New Member

Don't know much about the 33 ft Viking. Have seen a few around, if they are anything like the 35 ft, then they are rock solid. I have a 76' 35 ft. It was repowered in 08 with 8.1L Crusaders, interior (salon) has been been updated similar to new Vikings. It is presently at Viking having the topside surfaces refinished (rub rail to rub rail) and some minor hull touch up. Love the boat, comfortable, performs great, can take on bigger seas than I want to.
  4. Ccbroadloom

Ccbroadloom New Member

We boat from loingisland south shore N.Y.
    I have the 35 Viking 1975 you should have it serv. and watch out for the rea bulk head wall for there problem of rott not the end of the world but plan on a project boat it's only normal if your handy. And have time and money it's a good boat that putting money into is not a waste specially when it all pans out .ps I know I restored mine and when I go places I get a lot of thumbs up for 37 year old boat that will stand with those guys that spend hundred thousand plus
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

My 2 cents - 33 Viking no, 35 Viking yes, unless slip space/storage is an issue.

The 35 is an improved ride, better layout, a dryer boat, for 2 feet extra it works much better.

33 Bertram is a better alternative to the 33 Viking......
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

yes, I agree with Redcoat,
    The 33 Viking is a big big difference from the 35Viking

Although the 33 Viking is still a nice boat it is not comparable to the 35 in performance and desirability.

I would recommend looking for a 35 Viking before settling on a 33 Viking,

one of the big differences is that the 33 Viking has Vdrives in the cockpit.

the 35 has straight inboards under the salon.