Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

1962 42’ Matthews

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by cleanslate, Jan 30, 2020.

1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok, I’ve blabbered about it a lot on YFs; Here I am and my past Matthews heading south bound Chesapeake Bay mouth of Sassafras river.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2020
    Kafue likes this.
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Center City Philadelphia with my Family notice my ex-wife sitting as far away for me as she can forward...oh well things are good now :)

Attached Files:

3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

"Miss Pris" ? I remember her when she was for sale.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Yup...It's me . I had to let her go, my solo upkeep of her was killing me and very time consuming.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was her name Miss Pris on the bow or the boats name?
    Lucky for you, I don't see a mother,,, in-law (ship not listing) as I during wife #2. The Krakens of my life, heart, boat and wallet.
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Lol; Boat's name. Miss Priss.
    Had two S's.
    Wait you are right; it was both!
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Nice boat.
    There was a Matthews in Rock Hall at Gratitude Marina last year.
    Same model as yours but older I think and in bad shape.

We saw another one in Cambridge last summer.
    She was really nice.
    Also same model.
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Not sure where it is now; one of those boats you saw could be it. The couple who bought it from me 10 years ago I think they were going to keep it on the Potomac near DC.

It was real nice had original GM alpine green 6v53Ns ; one was rebuilt by previous owner ; I did the other one. Both mainly just re-sleeved etc. they would start hot or very cold at the touch of the button. No smoke. I do miss the boat; WAY better sea boat than the Ocean I have now.
    Oh yeah original monel 125 gallon x 2 fuel tanks which still looked great and an original copper water tank; and bronze shafts, struts, W-C sea cocks etc. all the stuff you can not get on todays boats, period. I don't think todays bronze and the older stuff is of the same ilk, no matter the manufacturer .
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Wow ! Chesapeake46 found my old boat. He sent me current photos of her which are to big to post. She is on the hard Kent Island MD in restorable condition IMO. I wish I had the means to take her back again.
    Any of you on here with the means $$ want a classic yacht the rivals anything out there , Trumpy , Elco, etc. this was the tippy top Matthews build originally for an Attorny in Tampa Florida . It has all the options and then some by Matthews.
    Would make a great show piece, day weekender boat and would stop all traffic on the New River , Ego ally , etc.
    When I had her GM diesels were fresh , I put on new generator and new AC units along with other items .
    She was in original condition when I had her. Still looks to be the same now.
    I sold her in 2011.

I just though I would put this out there. I would say the current owner abandon the boat. They were not seasoned boaters, FYI. He had to hire a Captain to run the boat when he purchased it from me.
  10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Cleanslate, that vessel was a thing of beauty in your hands! I love that graceful "mustache" she has underway
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember working on some oldies when I was young. They had painted canvas covering the for-deck.
    Your Matt like that?
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Boy does that revive old memories. I can't recall the boats, but I remember the glued and painted canvas. The old form of creating grip on the deck as well as other purposes such as covering seams, etc. The precursor to fiberglass matting?
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Beau, it cut through the water most gracefully and she had just the perfect bow flare to throw the water away from the boat in nasty weather she would get wet like any boat in a quartering see but overall she was very dry. And very fuel-efficient got up on a plane very easy could cruise at 2000 RPM's at 18 knots topped out at 22/23 knots 2500 RPMs which was a very rare thing for me to do.
    Still had the original wood transome wedges on the bottom of the transom and the planks which acted as trim tabs for the boat never had to worry about electric or hydraulic trim tabs. They always worked !
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Capt Ralph ,
    Yes at the factory she had the canvas over the forward deck and then the original buyer of the boat Mr. LeRoy Allen Attorney from Tampa Florida decided he wanted teak decks on the forward deck the boat was done, so at the last minute they put the teak right over the canvas deck ! Which I was able to read about in one of the telegrams that I had on record for that boat.

I had all the records on the boat which I got from the Matthews boat owners association on that boat all the paperwork matched the serial number of the boat along with the factory Black and white photos that I got.
    I had about 12 copies of Western Union telegrams between the buyer of the boat and Carl Matthews the president of Matthews boats. I also had about eight pages of all the parts used to build the boat from the motors ; to the wood; to the screws ; to the lightbulbs light fixtures ; wires ; the whole 9 yards it was incredible record collection I had on the boat.

She had beautiful Teak forward deck , on the gunnel and in the cockpit .
    I reseamed all the seams on the forward deck and the gunnel took me about two or three months to do that.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  15. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ok here’s on more photo!
    Maybe I should stop ? Lol 1C2540B4-0DC1-49EC-8CB6-BC537D4FFC5A.jpeg
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Notice the Deck House accordion doors that open up the saloon to the cockpit full width of the boat ; giving you 20 foot open deck space for and aft.

was a great feature ! Egg harbor copied from Matthews on the accordion Deck House door btw.

Was great to open up under way or at anchor it was even better.
  17. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Having dinner aboard this evening with guests at the dinette I have a scale navel architectural drawing on my old Matthews on the wall above the forward seat .
    Thought I’d post it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2021
  18. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Oops …just can’t get it right …
    iPhone agg…
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Fixed. :)
  20. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member