Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

12v 71 N cold start issues

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dennismc, May 28, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

New, heads, liners pistons etc etc bearings etc..12 hrs ago..now has developed cold start issue, many cranks over no flash, laughing gas, off she goes... shut down after cruise, leave a week, turn on block heater 24 hrs ahead, instant flash like one rev over.
    Talking 60 deg f as cold start.
    Any clues before I get the BS ?

Here is what I am expecting from the Mech who did the work although I hope not,
    " weak batteries" (using parallel sw. 32v syst.)
    "Bad fuel " ( if so why start when warm )?
    Both engines respond same way warm or cold one has 12 hrs the other 220, same mech. did both..

I suspect retarded timing as we get some white smoke on start and some back up thro the blowers when cranking too long.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I suspect you exchanged your injectors.
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Yes,,N65 set 1.48
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Their leakers.
  5. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Is the fuel level in the tank above or below the primary fuel filter height? I had the same issue with a Cummins main and a Northern lights generator. Turned out to be the little "O" ring on the "T" handle on the racors that never gets changed on most boats. A wee air leak allowed the fuel to drain back into the tank.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

No drain back ,racors full prior to start also, fires right up when block htrs on 24 hrs so not a fuel problem, if after rebuild the compression is correct, timing correct air and fuel good then they should light right up at 60 deg F temp.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The injectors are dribbling fuel into the cylinders and leaking down. That first attempt to start, the injectors are not offering that first fine plume of fuel mist into a dry lung.
    If you pulled your side covers, the piston tops will be wet with fuel. Hard for a compression ignition to happen in a wet lung.
    Block heaters are helping the fuel flash quicker to help startup. Also covering up the issue.

I have learned all this the hard way. Never can or trade good injectors away for some rebuilts from all over the world, Including Detroit.
    A good shop can clean, repair, test and pop all to match.
  8. Hall Engine

Hall Engine New Member

Try holding the stop at no fuel and roll the engine for about 5 seconds. this creates some heat build up and may help.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would expect ANY mechanical diesel to be very hard to start at 60F.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hall Engine was responding to a year old thread.
    I pointed out to Da Boss that my phone does not show the post date. Maybe why we get some responses to old post. Be patient with the new member.
    Hello Hall Engine. Welcome to Y F.
    Your last 4 comments are welcome but on old threads. I fear your using a phone or pad in your research.
    Full sized screens show the last date of the thread. Seems your adding to 1 or 2 year old and dead threads.
    Look forward to your contributions.
    Thx,
    Capt Ralph