Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

12 V92 Ta's and DDEC, no throttle in gear on one engine..

Discussion in 'Engines' started by captsam54, May 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Pulling my hair out.. Have been reading all the related posts on the 92 series and DDEC.. I have checked all my manuals etc. replaced my house 12v battery's and isolated all my stations... OK, engine start up and leaving the dock great.. Both engines running fine, everything working... Get out tothe entrance channel and go to throttle up... Loose my port engine.... Will not restart....

Have to idle on stdb out to deep water ... No throttle on my stdb engine.. Try to re-start the port.. Wants to drag the stdb down... Not good...

I manage to milk the throttle up to maneuvering speed on the stdb engine and return to the dock...

OK, go thru all the systems checks etc. Read all the forums on 92's and DDEC systems...

Change batts, Isolate stations. NOW.... I have no Throttle on my starbord engine in gear.. JUST OPPOSITE..!!!!

WTF..???

ANY suggestions, comments..?? We are currently in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and have no real access to a DDEC mech here...

And please.. I am keeping these engines and need no discussion on the merits of the 12V92's or DDEC.. This is what I have to work with.. thx....

Attached Files:

2. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Also, don't have , or have not found the quick manual for the menu combination to re-set the DDEC controls to default...

Anyone know the button push combo to reset the system..???
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What about the emergency backup controls? Do they operate? If trying to start the port engine causes the stbd engine to stall, then it sounds like the engine batteries are weak. I've come across this problem before many years ago, but cannot remember what the cause of the problem was.
  4. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Yes.. same serrano... Just replaced 2 of the 12 volt batts in Feb, and they other 2 a couple of days ago.... I have good voltage.... 13.00 at rest.
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

did you check the simple stuff first?

since you just changed the batteries.
    check that the battery cables are on tight?

maybe check battery under load, i have bought bad new batteries, or if the ground is bad or loose you will show good voltage under no load but put a load on it and you will have a voltage drop.

Do the DDEC need proper voltage to run? i suppose so, thats why there is nothing like the older DDs that dont need any electricity to run.

After that i guess you will be flying in someone from DDAC in Miami or PR.

good luck
  6. Freespool

Freespool New Member

Sounds like a voltage issue to me. I would rev them up at the dock and check voltage. Also check the primary supply voltage to the ERIM. Black box mounted on the bulkhead maybe. Big black and red cables on the bottom.

A bad ground or loose ground connection will throw the system into a fit. If back up control system does not work properly I would definatley look that direction.
  7. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

stops

check your emergency stops:confused:
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had this same problem with them many years ago......If I remember there is a fuse in the ECM or somewhere around there, possibly inline that went bad.
  9. captsam54

captsam54 Member

I am looking into the voltage problem... I would like to know how to do a reset of the DDEC system... using the program buttons on the bridge displays...

Checking grounds and fuses today...
  10. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I so agree. A loose ground wire had thrown me into a fit for 3 days trying to get a 471 gen started.
    The main ground lead was disconnected down stream, yet there was still a small 14G ground wire connected that could still give me good voltage with my meter at all the test points.
    When trying to start the motor, the small 14G ground wire would barely allow enough current to ground for the starter to turn over the motor which it would very slowly. After much trial and error of trouble shooting (fortunately I did not replace any nu-neccary parts) I finally found that thick heavy gauge ground wire dangling in the bilge under a deck plate. The project was then completed.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you were getting the full cranking voltage through a 14g wire I am surprised there was anything left of it.

It must have got really hit while cranking.
  12. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Good point. I must of had some additional grounding through the motor mounds. I was getting full voltage at the starter when cranking, 12v start dropping to 11-10v.
    I first thought the starter was bad. I took off to the starter and had it benched tested it in a very sophisticated manner. I had a 2x4 wooden wedge in the gear teeth to it bog it down while measuring V R and I. The starter was good. I put it back on the gen motor and then again the slow turn over cranking.
    Like I said it was a grounding wire that was attached from the motor mound footing of the motor block to the neg battery post. How ever there was other grounds attached to the neg battery post for other uses. The generator ground cable was left off accidentally from when new start batteries where installed while the vessel was on the hard and they could not test start the gen until the vessel was back in the water weeks later.
  13. captsam54

captsam54 Member

Have checked the fuses and grounds.. all good.. I do have a problem w/ my La Marche constavolt cooking my batteries... Won't come off 75 volts charge... New batts last feb and water gone when I got onboard last week and no one was onboard... Now that's bad.... The constavolt could have not run very much..

Recommending a change to a new smart charger to my Boss.. any recommendations?? I am leaning toward a Charles 60 amp 5000 series...

Also have equalizers inline w/ the 24 volt and DDEC system... Lots of fuses to check....
  14. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

This post brings up an interesting issue. Back in the old days a skilled tech could spot a momentary bad connection by watching how fast the needle on an analog meter would jump. With our nice digital meters you don't get the same information. Also the very high internal resistance of these meters can mask a weak connection.

What are technicians doing to compensate? The high tech logging meters are nice but expensive. Portable oscilloscopes ain't cheap either.
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

An excellent point, thanks for posting it.

I just finished a troubleshooting effort on a generator that uses a remotely mounted excitation supply and since my good old Simpson 260 is a thousand miles away I had to go buy a cheapo radio shack analog meter.

Watching the needle respond to circuit capacitance and decay can provide critical information.
  16. MDS

MDS New Member

Your issues are voltage related. Start from the batteries and work your way thru the main battery system. Do not overlook or assume anything. Most boat builders installed these engines with common grounds but seperate battery banks. This is fine but these engines need 2 power sources to run. One for the starter and one for the ECM. While you are cranking/starting the engine the ecm feels the drop in voltage and if it is below 10 volts it will not start. I move the power supply to each ECM to the oposite engine to prevent this voltage drop. If you supply the ECM for the starboard engine with power from the port then it will never see the drop in voltage during cranking and vise versa.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

stop inducing problems

From what I read, your changing and moving batteries around. Your problems keep getting bigger. New batteries don't mean good batteries. Load test every one disconnected from the banks. Your new fried batteries may have caused the charger to fail, or the other way. Are your banks in parallel or series? You sure?
    You may have bad strapping somewhere. Get back to basics, follow every cable down both ways and make sure it is a ground, hot lead, drain, bonding, hot cranking, parallel or charger lead and properly connected to the correct post.
    Don't be in a hurry to reset the DDEC controllers. If you don't know how to reset them, then you may not know how to set them back up if needed.

I do like the idea MDS has above. Get your stuff working first, then get an electrician on board that can safely and correctly make those changes. AND, update your schematics with those changes.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It s all coming down to voltage.

You mention changing the house battery which is really irrelevant.

How many engine batteries do you have, how are they connected

Have you tried paralleling the engine banks? It s not a permanent solution but should boost voltage. If everything runs fine paralleled then you know it's a voltage issue

Have you checked that the alternators are charging? Often they need to be rev'd over 1000 to kick in

Was the charger on when you had the problem?

I really don't think that swapping the ECU feed is a good solution, if you have a problem on one engine you ll take the other one out. I want each engine to be isolated from the other.
  19. captsam54

captsam54 Member

MDS has a good point.. I will follow that.. My 12 volt 8D's are in series to make the 24 volts... And the constavolt did certainly fry the batteries... Won't step down off the 75 volts.. Wish I could post a picture but mine are to large for this site.. I may be able to post a pic of my DDEC schematic... I just came on board a week ago.. Finding the system screwed and tracing it down to the charger and dry batteries.... Saved one by re-filling w/ distilled water, but the other won't go past 4.5 volts.... These were both replaced in 2/11...

Here in DR, there is no one or any facilities to do this kind of trouble shooting or repairs or for that matter smartcharger / constavolt changeouts...

I hope to replace my bad battery w/ a new one, have the owner bring down a portable 24 volt charger that I can use when needed (not running and underway) to keep the system up till we get to St. Thomas or St. Croix where I can get some better help, supplies, equipment...

Attached Files:

20. Freespool

Freespool New Member

If you consta volt is putting out more than about 37 volts the ERIM will shut down due to high voltage.
    Ecm's don't care for high voltage to much either.