Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums

100 foot vs 120 foot MY

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by seascot, Dec 29, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. seascot

seascot New Member

Hello all,
    I am new to YF and am presently in the market for a MY in the 100 to 120 foot range , there is a vast amount of information to be filterd through regarding large motor yachts... I am trying to find out if there is a posting that deals in comparing the various manufacturers...I am presently leaning toward the Nordhavn 120...but find the price hard to understand when looking at comparable yachts..any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You mention 100 vs. 120 and then talk about comparable to Nordhavn 120. That makes me think perhaps you're comparing to 100's. Having recently been through much of this exercise, there is a huge difference between 100's and 120's. The beam is normally greater and the displacement much greater, more than the length would imply. The cost may be 50% to 100% more for a 120 versus a 100. A Nordhavn 120 is 849,000 pounds with a beam of 27'11". Compared to their 87', that's not 35 or 40% more boat, that's over 110% more boat, more than twice the boat. A Hatteras 100 is 270,000 pounds.

So first, in the same brand 120 vs. 100 there is a significant difference. But then from one brand to another even more difference.

Now my search came to the following conclusion. Owners choosing the 80' range were often happy for a long period. But those who chose from a manufacturer who had a 100 and a 116 often traded up, and those who chose a 112 from one brand I'm very familiar with quickly found themselves trading up to a 130.

On the other hand, I'm not sure any of this would apply to Nordhavn as their 87 is more boat than many 100's. Nordhavn has a tremendous following in far smaller boats. The 120 is a very recent addition and not the meat of their line.

What are you comparing the 120 price to that you found so shocking as obviously it wasn't another Nordhavn? What do you consider a comparable yacht? I ask that because there really are not other full displacement exploration yachts the nature of Nordhavn in fiberglass. Mostly in that range you have semi-displacement or you have aluminum or steel.
  3. olderboater

Also, the most critical question. What are you looking for in a yacht? How do you intend to use it? What do you hope it does well?
  4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Ever purchase an automobile?

Why the difference in pricing?

All have 4 wheels and a powertrain.

Go figure.
  5. olderboater

Old Phart

Maybe you could explain why Belle and my small cars cost more than our large SUV?
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Costs of many vs costs of one.

Getting back to 100 vs 120, which will cost (cause) a higher tax in Florida, if either?

As far as purchase price, it's a matter of what floats your boat or sinks your dream.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You should know that.......It takes a lot more time to fit the 4 wheels in a much smaller package!!!!!!!!!!!!! duh......LOLOLOLOL
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's the same tax.....Florida Sales Tax on yachts is restricted to a maximum of $18,000.00 per yacht or a $300k sales price.
  9. olderboater

No, actually each of the small cars was more than the large car.....

Assuming new boats, sales tax in FL will be the same as limit is $18,000. Only if one is priced under $300,000 will it vary. Property tax is also the same as their is no property tax on a boat in FL.

But back to the OP's question, there is a large difference from brand to brand. However, within a single brand a 120 is a much larger boat than a 100 and much more expensive. Anywhere from 50% more to as much as double.
  10. olderboater

Belle said she knew that. I should have just asked her. And all the time I thought it was that they were sports cars.
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

True.

How about the OP's knowledge base?
  12. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Too funny.

Are you stating that you do not know why greater is more than less?

Also, too funny.

You do remember the OP - yes, no, maybe?

A 100 footer for under $300,000 and new to boot.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, the reason they cost more to fix and maintain is because they're sports cars......hehehehe
  14. olderboater

No less is more than greater on our cars. Shows you. Are you trying to figure this out on your abacus? Of course deciding what is truly more or less can be complex.

Now the OP asked a serious question seeking help. How you took that to tax in FL I'm not sure. Perhaps he will give us some more information to help us assist him more. And, as an aside, I don't know the price of a Nordhavn 120 so would be interested in hearing that if the OP has that information.
  15. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

No.

Problem is too simple.

I'm only using one finger.

Can you imagine which one?

Happy to read you are ready to address the OP.

This link should help the OP.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/nordhavn-yacht/8077-nordhavn-120-trawler-yacht.html
  16. seascot

seascot New Member

The pricing for the Nordhavn 120 is in the $20m to $25m (USD) range depending on options...we have been looking at approximately 20 different yacht builders to date, such as Horizon, OA, Westport, Platinum, Cyrus, Sunseeker and Vicem..our mission for the yacht is long range travel with the maximum in safety for our family. Vancouver to Maui as an example and beyond. I was trying to find out if a table exists for a side by side review on all aspects of specific yachts , hull design, engines, nav equipment, range and so on and of course cost .
  17. olderboater

No, no table exists that I know of. In fact, when I was looking, I actually set up spreadsheets and filled in the information side-by-side that was important to me.

You will find yourself looking at more than the 20 builders, but gradually things coming into focus. For instance, just in the cruising range you desire, you just eliminated Sunseeker. Are you looking for a yacht to go strictly at displacement speed or want the option of more speed too? That will add and eliminate more.

Do you prefer glass or aluminum or steel?

How big of an issue is draft for you? Where do you plan to use it? For instance, the Nordhavn has more range than the other boats, weighs more, but also has a 9' draft while some of the others in their size range have drafts less than 7'.

Budget, not just for purchase but for maintenance and operating. Even crew requirements as in the range you're considering from 100' to say 130', you'll find crew requirements going from 4 or 5 to 7.

Now, from my experience, I started my thinking at 100' and ended up at 130'. It happened gradually as I drifted to 115 or so and then considered 112 but found the 112 owners quickly moving up. If your choice was Nordhavn, you don't have a choice in the 100' range but you might find the 86 meets your needs.

Now, there are many proponents here for steel hulls and of custom building. Are you one prepared to go through that process and also to wait? When you're looking at expedition use such as that Nordhavn provides, then steel or aluminum become alternatives to consider.

So make your own spreadsheet, starting with the basic information but including what you can find on their quality and customer satisfaction. Then including your opinion of the various areas of the yacht. The engineers and captains will strongly remind you to not overlook engine room and serviceability.

There isn't a right boat. There is the boat that's right for you.

As to the Nordhavn price that's in line with other quality boats. There's a lot of boat there. That's consistent with what you'd pay for a Westport 130. On the other hand you would find a Hargrave 125 for 75% of that or less as you would with some of the other brands such as Cheoy Lee. An Ocean Alexander 120 would be substantially less than the Nordhavn but it's an entirely different type of boat.

When you start talking Vancouver to Maui, then you're reducing the list significantly. Many of the boats in your list don't have the fuel capacity to make that trip. You not only need the range but that involves the potential for some serious conditions. The more boat the better and by more boat that's not just length. Check marinas in areas you've targeted and find out how many can accommodate your boat. Even on the East Coast of the US the draft becomes very much a limiting factor. Nordhavn would be great for taking an outside route but not very good at all if one wanted to take the ICW.

As you put them in your own spreadsheet, you will quickly find yourself eliminating some. But then you'll discover more to add. I would start with all the basic easily found dimensions, include speed and range. Then I'd list other features. Number of guests and cabins and how important that is to you. Crew cabins. Single or two helms. How many decks? What size tender and where is the tender stored. Quality of build from what you can find out. Service reputation of company. Then even totally subjective things such as how well you like the appearance. Do you like the bridge? What about bow seating? How do you feel about that? The master stateroom versus the others. The Galley. Now some of the things could be modified in construction but others can't as most of the boats you've listed are either stock boats or semi-custom. Semi-custom meaning hull and basic structure set but interior can be customized. Some things will be important to you that wouldn't be to most. For us one of those was having both a pilothouse and a helm on the upper deck.

As to the differences in cost to operate, many of those are difficult to estimate. But crew is fairly easy as is fuel cost and docking cost. So while the 10% of purchase price per year is an often used approximation, your type usage and the specific boat can vary that a lot. Spend six months cruising, docking at marinas every night and the cost of a 120 will be $12,000 or so more. The fuel differences in two boats could be $75,000 more for one than the other. Now part of that also depends on the speed you choose to go even within one boat. But if I'm looking at a $25 million boat I'm going to consider my 10 year cost of that boat to be about $50 million, purchase price plus operating. Now I may come in under. But I'd hate to start not using it because I didn't plan on what it would cost.
  18. seascot

seascot New Member

Thank you for the insight...I had started a spread sheet but thought there might be the required informationm out there and cut down on my research ! ...there is never an easy way.... the due diligence will help in making the good choice.
  19. olderboater

There are no shortcuts in major decisions, there must be a process. What will make it ultimately a good decision is you pursuing the information, gathering it, reevaluating both your desires and the options many times. Then asking more focused questions. Then ultimately sorting through conflicting answers to determine your decision.
  20. seascot

seascot New Member

Found a great magazine today "ShowBoats" International page 83- 2014 Global Order Book...Listing the top builders..... page 121 "The Bottom Line" - How does your crew payroll compare.