Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Zurn/Joel 57'

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by talkingstone, Oct 4, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. talkingstone

talkingstone New Member

I noticed in this months Yachting an article on the new communter that Billy Joel has designed. Since I cancelled my subscription to Yachting soon after I found Yachtforums I would love to see a review of this vessel somewhere on this forum.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This crossed my mind too. :)

There seems to be a growing resurgence in the interest of classic yachts, such as Burger's Sycara, Royal Huisman's Athena and Zurn's 57' Commuter. Although commuters (lobster, picnic, day boats) are not really our market, the Zurn build was appealing to me because it incorporates the PowerVent drive system.

This propulsion system was developed by my good friend; Don Smith, which he uses on his own builds, the Smith 42' Center Console. This is also the foundation behind the vessels Don has developed for the Navy.

Essentially, the PowerVent is a recessed tunnel drive that vents engine exhaust into the tunnel housing, under the hull. The result is a surfacing effect for the props, increased RPM and increased efficiency. In addition to a shallower draft, this config partially encapulates the water flowing over the rudders which enables excellent maneuverability.

Hopefully I'll see Zurn at FLIBS and maybe we can do something in the future. But for right now, I just want to get the new YachtForums launched... and take a few days off. ;)