Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Your opinions on seaworthiness

Discussion in 'Sunseeker Yacht' started by vivariva, Dec 10, 2007.

1. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Hello,

I have just registered at YF and would like to congratulate everyone who took part in constructing this web site.

There is a question to which I have always received biased opinions (mostly not positive). How seaworthy do you think Sunseekers are? I have been on a Predator 65 (older model) and a Camargue during the summer holidays. They were peacefully at anchor in both times. I am considering in ordering one (Porto 53) from the local dealer in Turkey and your ideas would have a significant impact on my decision.

How do you rate the brand's performance in terms of stability and reliability of its workmanship? Your anecdotes/ experience would be most helpful.

Thank you and regards
  2. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Welcome.

You will find the YF community to be some of the most giving and honest (sometimes it may not be what you want to hear) people who love yachts of all types. The wealth of knowledge and experience here, I feel, can not be found anywhere else. I have been on a couple of Sunseekers, Portifino 53, a Camargue 50 and a Pred 75 with triples (sweet). All were good and responsive, sound deadening seems to be an issue (loud) but still fun. I'm sure someone will give a more detailed response, as my rides were rather short.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

4. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Thank you Kelly, that was quite helpful.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I had the pleasure of running a Superhawk 52 with Triple Yanmars in it in 2003. We had a few mechanical issues when she was quite new and ran it from Monaco to Ibiza and Porto Cervo.

Since then it has been all over the Med in subsequent summers.

It was like any small fast boat in heavy weather as far as ride goes but was a lot stronger than a Magnum 56 I had been involved with few years before.

The only casualty in the first season from heavy weather was the screen flew out of the TV. A capacitor appeared on the counter in front of the TV this was noticed when fuelling in Mahon, Menorca closer examination revealed that the screen had fallen back a bit and was wobbly. We got going again headed for Toulon and got a real beating in the last couple of hours before we got there, at some stage the screen must have fallen backwards all the way and then came shooting out the front.

On the Sunseeker there were no cracks in the gelcoat anywhere by the end of the second season and it had been seriously tested both Summers.
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Having only limited experience with Sunseekers-- an early '90s 60 Renegade listing owned by a world-famous F1 driver who reportedly thrashed it but never broke anything--and having never heard any negatives regarding their capabilities in a seaway... and having spent a lot of time with Magnums including watching their construction (which seemed to be put together like brick you-know-whats), I am faintly curious to hear how the Sunseeker 'is a lot stronger' than the Magnum 56.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Loren- shoot me a PM with an e mail addy and you can have a full description of the failures on the Magnum including the Hull No

Carl can vouch for who I am and what I do
  8. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Interesting information in such a short time..

I was just wondering if these below had ever became your problem in less-than-ideal conditions:

- Shaft seals
    - Windows
    - Through-hull fittings etc..

I can discern from your comments that the boats held up quite well. The research I have done on the web is mostly written by people who have spent a glamorous sunny afternoon on a flat-sea, so your ideas are much appreciated.

I plan to avoid any kind of heavy weather but would like to be confident of the yacht should the conditions change unexpectedly.

Regards,
    RR
  9. jcooper

jcooper New Member

My two cents

Hello!
    I guess you will have to take this with a grain of salt because I run the Sunseeker dealership in the Seattle area.
    I have spent quite a few hours on sunseekers ranging from the 48 Superhawk to the 75 Yacht in the waters between Seattle and Southesat Alaska. Much of our cruising is in proteced waters but if you know Alaska at all you know it can get pretty bad! The only boat I really didn't like was the tripple 48....loud and not enough beam. Sunseeker designs their boats with foul weather in mind.....they ride steady and quiet in rough seas. The build quality is on a par with any custom yacht and we have had very little problems with the fleet we have in our area.
  10. xanax

xanax New Member

Hi K1W1,
    Been a great enthusiast on Sunseeker’s and owned few of them the last years with great time including all the problems of course that you get anyhow no matter the boat brand’s name after few hundreds of hours of use, but in my case the overall result where to get unforgettable times.
    Something which you must have experience too during the voyage of yours from Monaco to Ibiza and Porto Cervo with a Sunseeker Superhawk 52 with Triple Yanmars as said.
    Of course with some problems as you mentioned, but your boat with triple engines configuration, I believe they where the 425ps on Trimax surface drives correct? Was not the best for long trips in open seas?
    That boat cannot go slow and if does then is not a good boat to be onboard during bad Sea with waives.
    More, as all GRP boats on high speeds when meets waives the impact is transferred fast and tremendous pressure build up everywhere, more the boat’s flexibility will reduce and twist volumes in all empty spaces making it very difficult for all el. components, fitted cabinets, GRP arches even sometimes whole separator-wall-panels (I have gone across a Cranchi 39 endurance once that after a meeting with a waive on the wrong hull spot with high speed and wrong angle the whole WC wall-panel collapse and the boat become one large saloon area) something that cannot happen to a Sunseeker.
    In general surface drives produce more speeds but at the same time more stress on the boat’s hull but until today I haven’t heard anyone with serious problems because of that and that is very interested to know, where in many other manufacturers even in a Princess serious problems occur in many different cases and those words come from own experiences from owning Princes boats particularly the V series.
    Talked to you again
    Greetings and wishes for save voyagers
    Xanax
  11. xanax

xanax New Member

Hi RR,
    I have already send you a personal email message, but as for your message herein,
    Do not hesitate to go through heavy Seas with a Sunseeker anything more than 50ft would give you great experiences and confidence, try to avoid thought surface drives go with conventional shafts drives on mid heavy duty engines preferable single line and then you will feel the superiority.
    Heavy Seas need special and serious Captain’s skills but in all case low speeds or even better say the right speed are the secrets of all Captains, avoid insisting to keep your course if the waives says different another good advice its better to make a greater journey in higher speeds than a short trip with low speeds and lots of wobbly movements.
    As said I have been thought some very heavy Seas for long time-long legs journeys like 2 hours on 7B scale and believe that was not funny at all but my Sunseeker Camarque 50HT with 2X700MAN from 2003 did great.
    So when with Sunseeker do not hesitate go through but seriously handled since the power of Seas are greater than any boat and any engine especially when local phenomenon are building up.
    As for Portholes there are always problems if maintenance is pure and the same for the shaft seals and hull fittings.
    Kind regards
    XANAX
  12. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

OK, K1W1: You have mail.
  13. xanax

xanax New Member

Have send you several messages did you received any of those?
    xanax
  14. xanax

xanax New Member

Hi RR,
    I have already send you a personal email message, but as for your message herein,
    Do not hesitate to go through heavy Seas with a Sunseeker anything more than 50ft would give you great experiences and confidence, try to avoid thought surface drives go with conventional shafts drives on mid heavy duty engines preferable single line and then you will feel the superiority.
    Heavy Seas need special and serious Captain’s skills but in all case low speeds or even better say the right speed are the secrets of all Captains, avoid insisting to keep your course if the waives says different another good advice its better to make a greater journey in higher speeds than a short trip with low speeds and lots of wobbly movements.
    As said I have been thought some very heavy Seas for long time-long legs journeys like 2 hours on 7B scale and believe that was not funny at all but my Sunseeker Camarque 50HT with 2X700MAN from 2003 did great.
    So when with Sunseeker do not hesitate go through but seriously handled since the power of Seas are greater than any boat and any engine especially when local phenomenon are building up.
    As for Portholes there are always problems if maintenance is pure and the same for the shaft seals and hull fittings.
    Kind regards
    XANAX
  15. comship

comship Senior Member

Being in such high seas (force 7) especially with a Yacht like this means that you have to cruise with the minimum possible Engines RPMs. Once I did it and apart of the Big waves I had to face the endless alarms (high temperature) of the MAN engines, and the fear of friends it was a nightmare.
    That day I had seen a Uniesse encounder these waves effortless, her sea keeping was excellent
  16. xanax

xanax New Member

Dear Comship,
    We may speak the same language (Greek) but I will reply in your comments in English so that everyone understand,
    First About heavy Sea crossing with a pair of MAN engines please note that my journeys with that state of Sea I described where never of a long duration maximum couple of hours from start to end and usually the ugly part was in the meddle of my crossing,
    Secondly I have never lower the revolution on the engines in their minimum 600rpm since my speed where never 6-8 kn., as said I was doing much higher speeds,
    Last my engines where the 700 PS 6 cylinder monoblock model from 2003 (I do not know about yours) with few upgrades and modification made by MAN UK and Nuremberg Germany, meaning fuel adjustment and air combustion as well as a newer software in the MMCs was fitted due to small problems I was facing too I have had special blowers fitted in my engine room you have that too?
    Consequently the temperature sensors as well as air and oil pressure sensors where replaced and the new ones adjusted for high temperature environment use. That can be your problem sensors are coming to us in Southern Eastern part of the world with the temperatures level fixed for northern use as per factory statement to me check that out.
    Ask the local MAN dealer in Greece (Thomas PENKA you must have heard of him) to take a look in to your engines in regards to alarms sometime are not real.
    If they where real the MMC will go in to second step meaning 600rpm mode and that is hard to get in heavy seas-weather with people on board that are not used to that kind of sounds.
    Last, next time check engines before do another trip in case the alarms are real.
    Safe and pleasures journeys
    Nice talking to you
    Xanax
  17. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Xanax,

I would be curious to hear your reasons for avoiding surface drives?
  18. xanax

xanax New Member

Captpkilde,
    Surface drives in accordance to personal experiences as well as others that happened to meet in Seas,
    First of all I find them dangerous and not reliable for long journeys unless the Sea is calm, since you need the speed otherwise the manoeuvrability of your boat is reduced to minimum.
    Secondly in case of an emergency you cannot take sharp turns in high speeds and if you do you may or more like for curtain will face lots of mechanical problems afterwards
    Third, in case of a failure in one of your two engines your speed for to reach a save Port will be so slow that depended to the problems you may facing the time would not be sufficient for to find the solutions needed and consequently the problems may become bigger in general speaking, something which I do not wish to happen to none but I happen to “fish” people with surface drives from the Sea because of similar problems! Some others they have been towed.
    Fourth in Marinas surface drives are the rubbish collectors like robs plastic-netted bags, bottles, wood you name it anything that flows, where in the case you are extremely unlucky and both drives catch the same rob you had it for good if you know what I’m saying.
    Fifth, the same applies for going out of your berth surrounded by neighbouring moorings a bit windy and you always at risk to catch something.
    Sixth, if you berth your boat aft facing position then you can not compare the command and response of conventional shaft with surface drives and again there you always risk catching something.
    Seventh, maintenance with huge accounts since there is a lot of weariness on the gearboxes due to the surface drives and much more as bigger the set of engines and gearbox the worst case scenario you have, I have gone across some invoices in large size Pershings with Surface drives and they where out of the normal world.
    Last they are noisier than the conventional shafts and they spray a lot around where in the case your body is blue or another dark colour body then lots of cleaning especially in the MED where the salinity is very high.
    Overall surface drive use is limited in case you considered safety of the boat and people on board only daytime I would avoid night or let me say I would not trust the boat to go out in the night.
    My comments stand for MED Sea and the Marinas available in the Southern – eastern territory although would be pretty much the same for other places too, where as for US waters I believe the circumstances will be a bit better but still not safe for the surface drives for some of the above issues in case the occurred.
    Kind regards
    Xanax
  19. HBPencil98

HBPencil98 New Member

Well, they are stronger than a Sealine or Fairline, which would fall apart in a bath. In really rough weather you would be safer in a trawler yacht but if you are only using it as a day boat and in calm weather a Sunseeker is a good choice (except for the unfortunate name - "Sun" "Seeker" - soo cheasy!)