Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Yachts with a crew???

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by pianoplayerxx, Aug 11, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The key phrases there being "the 2 of us" and "move boats about anchorages". That's a bit different than (1) person running up to 13 hours a day for 2 weeks covering the entire east coast of the U.S. Bottom line is that a vessel must be run with the thought "What if?" on our minds every second. Murphy is sure to visit sooner or later and he loves finding people alone.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

How's this one for a doozie.

A new client, who owns his own investment corp, went out and bought a new Fairline 38 with all the toys. His 8 year old daughter was sailing in the Optimist dinghy Championships so thought he would take his new toy over to England with the family onboard.

He left the marina, turned right and set the autopilot for his destination. So he sat down with the newspaper and a pot of coffee until he got there 4 hours later. No problems.

Not sure if you know about the English Channel but in that narrow bit of water, more ships pass than anywhere else on earth. That very morning I was watching AIS Live that tracks the commercial shipping in the area. That count was 1968 ships that hour moving mostly between 14 and 26 knots within a 120 mile long corridor. Passing across that much traffic is hard work for any skipper. They feel like X-Wing fighters coming at you.

This Bozo made it but his wife found out it was not the best way to navigate busy waters with a tidal rise and fall of 30' twice a day. He is now getting training and help crewing.

In the Caribbean, bareboat charter yachts are moved all the time single-handed between islands as there is little traffic (or money) around.

I prefer having 2 but 1 is okay at a push.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

my point, it has nothing to do with size!

not that it matters but if you're referring to me, I dont' run 13 hours day when i'm alone, more like 7 to 8 hours since it takes at least another hour to do the preflight in the morning and rinse the boat at night.

and I've never done the "entire east coast" in 2 weeks... more like 3 weeks from Miami to Newport.

When i run the boat alone, I take it easy... a tired captain is far worst than a solo captain.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, except the biggest variable of them all is the weather. Wind, rain, seas, current and more and it changes every 10 miles and every hour. I've been on my way in an inlet in NC and had a squal kick up with 40 knot winds and NO visibility. And, they do that all of the time in GA and the Carolina's in the summer time and late afternoon, which is about the time you're pulling in. There's just too much risk and too many variables to safely single-hand it up the east coast.

I am also familiar with the Johnson yachts, as I'm the relief Captain on a 103' on long voyages. It takes a full minute to go from the bridge to the engine room and back, if not longer, and the engine room door is on a weather deck with a long narrow stairway, and 4 doors between the helm and the engine room
  5. Diversion

Diversion New Member

Pianoplayerxx,
    I also run my 45' boat solo and I'm far from experienced (started last year). Had multiple runs and lessons with several captains in the beginning and have never needed anyone's assistance. Am I perfect? Far from it, but I'm a conservative type. I prepare lines before getting into a marina or fuel dock and have always had local assistance with the lines. Went to West End from FT Lauderdale and Key West solo as well as many ICW runs. Going to move up to a 55' and will operate same also.

I review weather and water before I go and move slow in marinas. Since you didn't request safety issues, I won't respond as they've been beat to death but as far as boat operation and manuverablilty, no problem. Choose your AAA boat company for the unforseen and go for it.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Diversion, When you say "solo" do you mean alone or without assistance? There's no reason any reasonably co-ordinated person can't single-hand most reasonably sized boats. It's just a second person to mop up the blood when the s--- hit the fan that's needed.